Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal Come Back

Re: Rodinal Come Back

I bought some Adox Rodinal from Adorama recently and they shipped it to me. I think it cost a bit more to ship.

I looked around beforehand, most places were out, B & H wouldn't ship it.

I haven't used any yet but I notice it seems more watery than I recall Agfa's Rodinal to be, which I remember was more syrupy?

Am I misremembering? Perhaps I'm confusing it with HC110.

110 is the thick one

Quote Originally Posted by spacegoose View Post
    I bought some Adox Rodinal from Adorama recently and they shipped it to me. I think it cost a bit more to ship.

I looked around beforehand, most places were out, B & H wouldn't ship it.

I haven't used any yet but I notice it seems more watery than I recall Agfa's Rodinal to be, which I remember was more syrupy?

Am I misremembering? Perhaps I'm confusing it with HC110.
    Tin Can

Got the 6 bottles of Rodinal after sunset

They were loose in a too big box, the baggy broke

NOT packed or labeled correctly

Perhaps I never need to buy more

I use 10 ml per 80 square inches of film

Usually 4 up in Gas Burst
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Fotoimpex (under the Adox label) makes current Rodinal (or has it made) using the last formula Agfa was using before operations stopped in 2005. Adox/Fotoimpex owns the trademark.
    yeah there was a thread that Mirko started or chimed in on years ago when RO9's Rodinal's Authenticity over on fo3o was being discussed. He said something like it's Agfa's recipe or one of their recipes or something like that. there was some guy who had a chimp wearing sunglasses listening to a walk man or looking a human skull or something equally as provocative for an avatar who was collecting and publishing(?) developer recipes .. he seemed to have said " it's not Rodinal" and a lot of the developers of the olden days can't be made anymore because of outlawed chemical components or no one is left at the lab who remembers what temperature they are supposed to boil substance A+C at before adding cold substance B+D ... not sure, but I do know people were really cranky because he was hunting and gathering recipes that were in the public domain and he may or may not have been saying where he found them. sure are a lot of developers out there. Maybe you remember his website, it looked like torn pages from a spiral bound notebook. he seemed to suggest he had a open air garage and he was boiling developer chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Got the 6 bottles of Rodinal after sunset

They were loose in a too big box, the baggy broke

NOT packed or labeled correctly

Perhaps I never need to buy more

I use 10 ml per 80 square inches of film

Usually 4 up in Gas Burst
    Guess I won't be buying it from Adorama.

I looked up the Adorama eBay store to buy Rodinal, and they have 55 negative reviews for the past 12 months alone. Lots of complaints about getting the wrong item, bad packaging, etc.

Was that the guy Ian Grant was constantly flustered about? I can’t remember his first name but the second initial was E. Something E. That guy?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    yeah there was a thread that Mirko started or chimed in on years ago when RO9's Rodinal's Authenticity over on fo3o was being discussed. He said something like it's Agfa's recipe or one of their recipes or something like that. there was some guy who had a chimp wearing sunglasses listening to a walk man or looking a human skull or something equally as provocative for an avatar who was collecting and publishing(?) developer recipes .. he seemed to have said " it's not Rodinal" and a lot of the developers of the olden days can't be made anymore because of outlawed chemical components or no one is left at the lab who remembers what temperature they are supposed to boil substance A+C at before adding cold substance B+D ... not sure, but I do know people were really cranky because he was hunting and gathering recipes that were in the public domain and he may or may not have been saying where he found them. sure are a lot of developers out there. Maybe you remember his website, it looked like torn pages from a spiral bound notebook. he seemed to suggest he had a open air garage and he was boiling developer chemicals.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Was that the guy Ian Grant was constantly flustered about? I can’t remember his first name but the second initial was E. Something E. That guy?
    yea I think that was the guy. ...

Ah, the endless search for the "magic bullet". See the 'opinions' section on the front page of this site.

Well, Rodinal was arguably the first silver bullet. D-76 was essentially the last. Sliced bread is the greatest thing since D-76.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Ah, the endless search for the "magic bullet". See the 'opinions' section on the front page of this site.
    I just had a read... 100% on the money.