Thread: Danube River and Lake Constance

Danube River and Lake Constance

I leave soon for some casual biking from Passau to Vienna along the Danube, then another trip around Lake Constance. I'd be interested in finding some things of visual interest along the way that would be fun to photograph, meaning pretty free (moving around, not price) access, not packed with people, and preferably exuding history. Suggestions? PS We'll have one full day each in Munich, Passau, Vienna and Konstanz.

Re: Danube River and Lake Constance

There are a ton of things to photograph along the Danube. Everything there exudes history. Of particular interest might be Melk, Dürnstein, and the Wachau, but there are things the whole way. It really depends on what you want to photograph. There won't be any shortage of things to point your camera at. I'll bet you'll be holding up the group (I certainly would). Vienna is full of stuff too, from the old to the new. Have fun.

Have a G'spritzten for me!

Doremus

Les

One day in Vienna ? That's extremely short! It took me and my girlfriend whole day just to check out the Belvedere. Lots of original paintings from Schiele or Klimt there. Wow, Schoenbrunn (park) would take at least 1/2 day (fab coffee at the shop). It's truely amazing that such a huge park exists in the middle of the city. Here (whatever here is) the condos would rule the place. There is more. That was 41yrs ago, so not much timely stuff.....maybe time for a revisit. Vienna was v. easy to navigate via tram.

Passau has the largest organ in Europe....worth seeing. I've taken the boat trip from Passau to Linz....and it's an incredibly relaxing ride. If it's bit cloudy, the Danube could appear "blue" as the song goes....the rolling waves behind the boat certainly were photogenic that way. Lots to look at and not much changes there. The swans nest was v. nice and refreshing....on the edge of water. All sorts of possibilities. Enjoy the trip.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Not quite the same Lake Constance but still a worthy destination and perhaps closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I leave soon for some casual biking from Passau to Vienna along the Danube, then another trip around Lake Constance. I'd be interested in finding some things of visual interest along the way that would be fun to photograph, meaning pretty free (moving around, not price) access, not packed with people, and preferably exuding history. Suggestions? PS We'll have one full day each in Munich, Passau, Vienna and Konstanz.
    That sounds like an amazing biking trip. Along the Danube between Passau and Vienna, I'd recommend stopping to photograph beautiful Melk Abbey. It's a Baroque Benedictine monastery dating back to the year 1089. You can visit for free and take photos of the opulent architecture and the views of the Danube.

In Vienna itself, you could head to Belvedere Palace and gardens to capture stunning photos without huge crowds. The grounds offer great views of the city and the Baroque palace is very photogenic.

The towns along the Lake Constance also have charming historic centers, like Constance's old town and harbor. Lindau has an old lighthouse and medieval buildings right on Lake Constance that would make for beautiful photos. Have a wonderful trip and happy shooting!

Thanks for all the responses. I must confess that I didn't think to inquire until about a day before leaving, so didn't get the benefit of your inputs, but still ended up seeing many of the recommended points of interest: Cathedral with large organ in Passau, cathedral that seats 20,000 in Linz, Belvedere grounds (didn't go in), Lindau lighthouse, Melk Abbey, etc. I found Munich and Vienna a bit overwhelming, but really enjoyed the smaller towns. It wasn't a real productive trip photographically - I had just a point-and-shoot digital camera, and needed to keep moving with my group. Here are a few:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passau_city.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	242720 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grein_courtyard.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	242721 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danube_lichen_2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	242722 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linz_cathedral.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	242723 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danube_boat.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	242724
    Last edited by h2oman; 29-Sep-2023 at 19:05.

All very nice work, Gregg. I especially like the Linz cathedral photograph.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com