Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

Re: Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by MadJake View Post
    Another source for bellows is a guy in Hong Kong who regularly has listings on eBay.
    That's probably the seller I bought from. I've bought several (via eBay and AliExpress) and all have been excellent. I consider them to be reasonably priced considering the expertise involved in making a bellows.

Since it's a custom bellows build I needed to provide detailed measurements so there is a chance it may not fit (if not the fault will probably lie with my measurements, and I'll sell the bellows on the forum as it will be of use to somebody.) If this goes well there are a couple of whole plate cameras that look extremely interesting: their bellows are shot and the camera body looks dirty but appears to be complete and unbroken.

I have a question about the camera back. The ground glass is cut really badly which suggests it's not original (it appears quite old though) and the metal brackets holding the glass to the frame look odd, not least being the poor way the screws are fitted: none are straight, some are almost sideways. There are a couple of additional screw holes under the corners which suggests they aren't original. Two of the corners (those at the end the holder is inserted) have had the metal cross bar bent outwards as if it should be holding something.

Most of the Okuhara (and similar) cameras I can find on the web have plate backs not spring backs like this one, so I cannot get an idea of how this camera may have originally looked. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	242380

A video of the restored camera in use:

https://youtu.be/24lmoi9zQG0
    Last edited by Vaughan; 15-Nov-2023 at 19:17.

Congrats on the camera find. There is lots of potential there. I ended up taking the full plate route. Ebay, direct from Japan. I looked for a 5x7 but could never find one. Having to cut my own film just adds to the fun.
    Attachment 243924 Attachment 243925
    Okuhara 6-1/2 x 8-1/2
    Last edited by DannL-USA; 17-Nov-2023 at 11:57.

I have whole plate backs for Rittreck View. Shanghai was selling 6½x8½ film a couple of years ago, I bought a couple of boxes. I also got a box of J.Lane Speed Plates. Unfortunately he seems to no longer be in business.

Jason seems to have moved inland from NH - to Illinois or somewhere in the mid west IIRC. He hadn't posted in quite a while, but then I saw a post or two from him not so long ago so he's still around.

I have a full plate camera also - it's a really nice form factor and perfect for contact prints IMHO. I bought some FP4+ when Ilford had their custom buy a few years back.

The force in whole plate cameras is strong, I'm tempted by several old woodies similar to the 5x7 this post is about, but the even greater difficulty in finding film is a huge deterrent. That, and the fact that most WP cameras have glass-plate-holder backs, and those few with spring backs can be a problem because there is no standard for WP film holders and some makers like Rittreck made their own standard.

I have a bit of time on my hands, and making dry glass plates (in quantities for sale) would be a project I could get enthusiastic about. But I'd hate to rain on Jason's parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    The camera has no brand markings, the seller thought it was an Anba Ikeda. However from looking at other cameras, the detail on the metal work and particularly the mounting for the handle on the top (which is completely missing the leather part) I think it's probably an Okuhara.
    Based on the half-plate Okuhara camera I have and ones I have seen on the Web, I do not think your camera is an Okuhara. The handle fitting is different from mine and the clips to hold the ground glass are different. Also, I have never seen one with a spring back. However, it is possible that the back on yours has been replaced with one from a different manufacturer (hence the different GG clips). Of the half-dozen or so I have seen pictured on the Web, no two are alike, complicating identification.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	243977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	243978