Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

Hello

I just purchased a project camera from Glendale Heights IL USA, not Japan. The seller identified it as an Ikeda Anba but it has no markings. The bellows could be classified as hazardous waste and the metal work is somewhat dull but the camera appears to be otherwise complete. It has a spring back, I took a chance on whether modern 5x7 film holders will fit and am pleasantly surprised to find they do. When folded the camera is 55mm, thinner than a Tachihara 4x5, and weighs only 1.6 kg.

One of the interesting features is the mechanical level on the side. Brilliant. Some photos attached.

Finding a new bellows will be a challenge, but I'm seriously looking forward to getting it going again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8020.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	241998

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	241999

Name:	IMG_8022.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	242000

Name:	IMG_8023.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	242001

Name:	IMG_8024.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	242002

Re: Vintage Ikeda Anba Japan View Camera 5x7

After you get it cleaned up, you could either send the whole camera, or just the bellows if you can detach
    them intact, to Custom Bellows in the UK. They can either install the new bellows perfectly fit to your camera, or send you a replacement bellows that you can install.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Fun project! Not a lot of movements, but very usable. Tripod attachment will be another project.

My older cameras have similar mechanical levels. Useful!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Fun project! Not a lot of movements, but very usable. Tripod attachment will be another project.

My older cameras have similar mechanical levels. Useful!
    Very nice camera and project! I have a similar camera with mechanical level too. I my case I have to check it every time I close the camera. It is little bit loose and can block the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Tripod attachment will be another project.
    Here is what you need for your tripod attachment. It came with my Okuhara half-plate field camera. The graph paper is 1" by 8ths.

Name:	tripod1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	242022

Name:	tripod2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	242021

You could also attach a Folmer Graflex Crown tripod to where the black pins shown in your photo #4 are located, like this photo showing one leg attached:

Name:	tripod4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	242023

Thanks for the suggestions.

M.A. Wikstrom

Looks like a very useable camera once it's cleaned up and the bellows is replaced. Enjoy it!

I have a 5x7 Nagaoka, which is similarly compact and lightweight - marginally heavier (3 lb 12 oz), probably because it has a full rather than hollow base. One of the things that allows the camera to fold to such a compact size is that the bellows is pretty thin. So if you order a new bellows, be sure to specify not just the mounting dimensions, number of pleats and maximum extension, but also how far it needs to compress to allow the camera to close.

Good luck and enjoy - using these ultralight, easy-folding cameras in the field is a delight!

The camera has no brand markings, the seller thought it was an Anba Ikeda. However from looking at other cameras, the detail on the metal work and particularly the mounting for the handle on the top (which is completely missing the leather part) I think it's probably an Okuhara.

I ordered the new bellows today.

The camera also came with a wood Fulmer & Schwing 5x7 plate holder (without cut film sheaths) that had broken dark slides but were otherwise good. I fashioned replacement slides from thin black plastic sheet that is hopefully light tight. I have some J.Lane Dry Plate Ambrotype black glass plates that will be suitable for the camera. This old holder is identical in size to modern 5x7 holders.

That's a nice looking camera. Another source for bellows is a guy in Hong Kong who regularly has listings on eBay. I bought a set of bellows from him three years ago. They were for a Toyo Metal Field 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" Sakai Special camera and cost me £100 shipped. I wrote about it on my blog in 2020.