Thread: Rochester Universal 5x7 Bellow Repair or Replace

Rochester Universal 5x7 Bellow Repair or Replace

Hello large format experts!

I have an old 1902-ish Rochester Universal 5x7 camera which appears to have the original bellows. They are cloth on the inside with stiffeners for the pleats and a shiny smooth black coating on the outside. Obviously due to age, most of the corners and the creases have thinned out. There are no real holes per se but the black coating on the outside in those areas has worn away leaving only the cloth part which is thin. I checked under bright sun today to see the effects and with the bellow pulled out to near max extension you can see faint hints of light on the corners and creases. However, with the bellows at a more normal extension for the 180mm lens I have for it, nothing is visible since they are folded a bit.

So my dilemma is….

1) leave it as is knowing that it doesn’t really have an effect in normal use and/or put the dark cloth over them for extra insurance when making the exposure
    2) use some sort of flexible coating or bookbinding tape to repair them
    3) replace the bellows altogether with a new set; I hesitate to do this since it would take a way from the character and possible even devalue it?

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Rochester Universal 5x7 Bellow Repair or Replace

Placing the barkcloth over the bellows is excellent practice.
    There are several ways to patch a bellows, bookbinder's tape will work, I've used liquid electrical tape; it depends. People who have done more of this than I will chime in.
    I wouldn't worry about the collectability part. People who want these cameras generally want to use them.
    Camera Bellows in England has a very good reputation; try contacting them for replacements.

New bellows are a good thing

I spent $1200 for a big camera the needed 3 sets

No regrets

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Placing the barkcloth over the bellows is excellent practice.
    There are several ways to patch a bellows, bookbinder's tape will work, I've used liquid electrical tape; it depends. People who have done more of this than I will chime in.
    I wouldn't worry about the collectability part. People who want these cameras generally want to use them.
    Camera Bellows in England has a very good reputation; try contacting them for replacements.
    I think I may try the liquid electrical tape first since it’s readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dhanner View Post
    I think I may try the liquid electrical tape first since it’s readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't advise it... This stuff can stick to itself when bellows are folded/compressed even a long time drying (months) after it was applied, and can tear the base material off in chunks... (Seen it happen...)

For a working camera, best off getting a replacement bellows, as leaks become a game of wack-a-mole with possible new leaks developing even the next time you use the camera... Not too expensive these days for a many year carefree investment... You will come around to realizing it was the solution all along, but with the game of "the easy way vs the hard way" to find out...

Steve K

Kinda depends 0n usage

In studio you may be able to control Darkness

Folding the camera may not be necessary

Many camera have been carefully taped at all corners with contrasting tape

Accordion Bellows Tape, High Quality
    Tin Can

I agree if you are going to use the camera, especially outdoors or during travel replace the bellows if at all possible. I can guarantee your bellows repair will fail at the most inopportune moment on a trip otherwise, ruining photos you can never take again.

I was sort of in the same spot with my 5 x 7 Linhof and finally decided on a new bellows. I got it from Custom Bellows in the UK. Beautiful job, reasonable price, good turn around time. The bellows on my 8 x 10 Kardan Bi is next.