Thread: September 23, 2023 - Two LF Events in Chicago

September 23, 2023 - Two LF Events in Chicago

The Midwest Large Format Asylum has organized two events in Chicago on September 23.

Photographer and friend of MWLFA, Steve Bennett, is offering an early morning photoshoot along the Chicago Lakefront.

At 11 am the Museum of Contemporary Photography at 600 South Michigan Ave, is holding a special private viewing and discusion of selected large format works from their vast collection. The works to be shown were selected by Hillary Johnson, MoCP curatorial and education assistant. Join us for "Custom Print Viewing : Multiple Approaches to Large Format Photography".

In this session, created specifically with MWLFA in mind, Hillary Johnson, will lead a discussion focused on the numerous ways photographers engage with large format picture-making, from the 19th century and the view camera to more experimental approaches in the present. Featured artists include William Henry Jackson, Sally Mann, Abe Morel, Jay Wolke and more. The session will include a contemplative practice designed to open new ideas for your own photography.

These two events are near each other on South Michigan Ave - and to be clear - these are seperate sign-ups, you do not have do both.

Registration has opened up and both are free but limited friends of Midwest Large Format Ayslum facebook page. Just go to the "Events" section of the page to read all the details and sign up.

I know there are some members here who do not use facebook. If you have any interest in taking parts in either of these LF events, just send me a message and I will get you signed up.

Re: September 23, 2023 - Two LF Events in Chicago

I have gotten a couple of direct messages about the event but I encourge using the public forum to ask questions that are probably a concern to others.

The early morning shoot along the lake front in Chicago starts at 6:30 am (Central Time) near the Buckingham Fountain. You can bring anything to shoot with, but why wouldn't you bring LF?

It will wind up at about 10 am and we will meet up at Luna Cafe for those who want breakfast/coffee (63 East Harrison Street). We picked this because it is very close to the MoCP and across the street from Luna Cafe.

If you want to skip the shoot and just go the the LF viewing at MoCP, you can hang out there if you arrive early. It opens at 7am and the museum opens at 10 am.

There is a special viewing room for the event on the third floor of MoCP. The viewing and discussion start at 11 am. You will see LF works you know up close and person and others that you many not know.

To register, just go to the Midwest Large Format Asylum facebook page and let us know you are coming. You do not have to do both the shoot at the lake front and the LF viewing. These are seperate event signups.

If you are facebook adverse, just let me know and I can get you signed up.

The events are free.

There are a number of other photorelated things to do right near by..........Central Camera, Art Institure photo exhibit, and of course the Museum of Contemporaty Photography has a new public exhibit on as well.