Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Kobayashi brushes

Where to buy Kobayashi brushes

There was a thread here that I can't find now that spoke highly of Kobayashi brushes (compared to Richeson 9xxx series) so I was trying to find out where to get them. I see Inkjetmall has them, but there was also a Japanese site that listed them as well. Emailed the Japanese site but no replies. Looking for 2" normal brushes.

I understand and accept that we pay for quality tools but still trying to find something a bit less pricey, but also in stock.

tia,
    freddy
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Where to buy Kobayashi brushes

It’s been several years now, but I got the brushes here:https://www.pgi.ac/en/2079/

I contacted them at info(at)pgi.ac and it did take a couple of days to get a reply. Otherwise the transaction was easy and the shipping cost was very reasonable.

Scott Davis

I just sucked it up and bought mine at Inkjetmall because between the (not huge) cost differential, the difference in shipping cost and shipping time, I figured it was better for me in the long run to buy it somewhere I would get it in my hands in 2-3 days. I now have at least three of them - two 2" and a 3". While the bristles aren't radically different than the Richeson 9010, the fact that there's no metal ferrule to rust or chemically interact with whatever chemistry you're using is a big plus.

EDIT:

I take it back about the price difference. I think when I was looking, the Yen was a lot closer to 100 to the US Dollar so the price difference wasn't as great. Now, with it closing in on 150 to the dollar, there is a SIGNIFICANT price difference between Inkjetmall and PGI's prices.
    Last edited by Scott Davis; 21-Aug-2023 at 10:27. Reason: update

Isn't that what Captain Kirk used?

Nice brush!

Thanks for the help everyone, just called PGI and hope to get some pricing with shipping soon. Time zone diff meant late night call but much better than email. Person who answered spoke perfect English as well. Also, if the price on their webpage hasn't changed much, the brushes will cost much less than other places (fingers crossed). Am very chuffed.

Have you tried Dick Blick?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just wanted to clarify that the thread I was referring to was posted on the Platinum/Palladium FB group and was started years ago by our own Bob Carnie.

Also, I placed the order yesterday and will wait for Kobayashi-san to make more brushes before mine get shipped. Price wise, getting the brushes from Japan was significantly cheaper than the US based alternative. The time zone made emailing and calling a bit of a hurdle but once contacted, they were very helpful and attentive. If one is thinking of acquiring these brushes, my recommendation is to call them directly vs emailing.

Pics to come when they land here.

Sounds like a good deal, hadn't thought of calling but maybe since you just inquired they'll be more responsive to emails. How long do you think it'll be before the brushes you ordered get made?

My order was short one 2" brush so I chose to wait till that was done. Might take Kobayashi-san a week or two to make more brushes. So I figure I'll get them mid to late September, which is fine as I plan to expose more film so I can be busy during the winter making prints.

Calling, for me at least, was better vs emailing back and forth. It's possible my inquiring emails got spam trapped but subsequent replies got through fine, or maybe they're too busy and things dropped down the email window. I actually prefer speaking to someone tbh, and we then took it to email so there were no crossed wires re:what I wanted to order.

fwiw, I was going to buy Richeson brushes as they're also highly regarded, but went with Kobayashi as the printers who used them couldn't say enough good things about them. I'm looking forward to using them.

fwiw #2 - has anyone had rusting issues with the metal ferrules of their brushes ?

fwiw #2 - has anyone had rusting issues with the metal ferrules of their brushes ?[/QUOTE]

You can also modify Richeson brushes like that: https://payral.fr/pinceau-richeson.html