Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflex "Bag Mag" vs. Grafmatics

That's a camera?

Graflex "Bag Mag" vs. Grafmatics

Is there are strong consensus on which of these to get? I recently picked up a Super D and need some holders that fit the slot, or one of the Graflex magazines.

I was also wondering if there are dust concerns when using the bag mag.

Thanks

Doug

Re: Graflex "Bag Mag" vs. Grafmatics

I've never even heard about these "bag mags", even though I've used Grafmatics for decades.

I had to look them up, and found this nice YouTube video.

After watching that there are a few things that come to mind.
    These bag mags hold 12 sheets, while the Grafmatics only hold 6.
    The bags look like the big weak point, and see a lot of wear. They would almost certainly need to be replaced, but that would probably be expensive. They're also not very user friendly compared to the Grafmatics, since I'm sure that it would be very difficult to change sheets while wearing gloves or when in a hurry. Grafmatics are pretty robust in comparison, and the septums only get handled when initially loading the film. The Grafmatics are also easy to use quickly if you know what you're doing.
    One other advantage of these mag bags is that you can pull the darkslide and put in back in if you decide not to take the shot. You can't do that with Grafmatics, since once the dark slide is pulled you have to take the shot and advance the film. If you don't, that front sheet will be unprotected even after pushing the dark slide back in.

I'd go with the Grafmatic unless you have some strange need for 12 shots in a small package.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

multiplex

make sure whichever ones you get the septi aren't bent, they can hamper your cycling through them, and make sure you load them into the holder right or they will choke the mechanism..

The bag-mag long preceded the Grafmatic (which was probably devised as the bag-mag's replacement). It seems that the bag-mag was popular among Graflex SLR users, especially portrait shooters, as a way to make exposures more quickly.
    I agree with jnantz; at this point, condition is everything with these magazines. And of course, plenty of practice is important too.

A couple years ago a guy offered referb Magbags or just bags for DIY

I bought one each. Cheap. He got pissed nobody bought

I have a working 18 films original

Glass plate versions preceded
    Tin Can

I use the bag mags all the time and had the leather pouch replaced with modern material so there are no fall-off particles inside.

Regarding the Grafmatics and shooting it once you pull the darkslide... Well yes technically you can't undo and not take the shot and put the darkslide back, you can simply cycle through the rest of the sheets and back around. I've done this a couple times when I needed to wait and didn't want the sheet just hanging out.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Grafmatic is the evolution of the bag mag. It's faster and easier to reload with grafmatic and I've notice it less likely to jam even if the septum is slightly bent. However, the ones that is graflex mount are insanely expensive these days. Ive seen it sold as much as above $175. There is a graphic version that works in graflok which are significantly cheaper around $75-100 but that means the Super D neededs a graflok mod to use.

To use bag mag which is much cheaper, you need to replace the leather if its dried falling apart or shrunk. There's a guy named Jerry Gordon on facebook who can make new leather bags for it. Also, after every usage make sure the septum are straighten out in the bag mag, it's prone to jamming when septums are not straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Photopham View Post
    Grafmatic is the evolution of the bag mag. It's faster and easier to reload with grafmatic and I've notice it less likely to jam even if the septum is slightly bent. However, the ones that is graflex mount are insanely expensive these days. Ive seen it sold as much as above $175. There is a graphic version that works in graflok which are significantly cheaper around $75-100 but that means the Super D neededs a graflok mod to use.

To use bag mag which is much cheaper, you need to replace the leather if its dried falling apart or shrunk. There's a guy named Jerry Gordon on facebook who can make new leather bags for it. Also, after every usage make sure the septum are straighten out in the bag mag, it's prone to jamming when septums are not straight.
    This reminded me that in my box of Grafmatics I have one labelled "Graflex" instead of "Graphic", and it doesn't seem to fit properly in my standard view camera back. I'm not familiar with the differences in the mounting, since I don't have any Graflex reflex cameras to compare. Do the bag mags only work on the reflex cameras, or can they be used on any modern view camera?
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Most all the bag mags were made for the early pre-graflok "Graflex" backs, but there might be some that made for the Graflok era on special order... The bag mags were popular pre-war usually for the reflex cameras...

I have some bag mags in seemingly working order, but I changed out my existing Graflex backs for Grafloks to use standard CFH + roll holders, and back when one could use a Polaroid back...

First thing I noticed was the bag mag holders were very heavy adding much weight/balance issues to camera, and was concerned if inner bag could shed lint etc to film??? (The inner bag was lined with a plush silk, and with the septums with slightly sharp corners, could they loosen to dried razor stubble like silk particles that dislodge on the film in contact with it, or maybe static electricity issues???)

Only Graflex back camera I still have was a black wartime SG unrestored, but the bellows/shutter curtain disintegrated (due to krappy war time materials), but unlikely to restore due to those issues... But saving the backs in case a camera comes my way that needs them...

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 23-Aug-2023 at 20:45.