Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Water Temperature Regulator

Automatic Water Temperature Regulator

For decades, I've had an old water temperature regulator that's been an important part of my darkroom plumbing. But gradually, it stopped working. This is the kind of regulator that blends hot and cold water to automatically maintain a constant temperature within about 1/2 F. Deg.

BHPhotovideo had an Array replacement regulator that would have been ideal, optimized for 1/2 to 2.5 gallon per minute flow. But because of the cost, I resisted purchase. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and place an order.

Of course, guess what? IT'S BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._1B_Water.html

They still sell something similar that's optimized for a 1 to 7 gallon per minute flow, but for a substantially higher price. (Aarrgh!)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g_1_Water.html

So, I thought I would ask: what other options exist? Note that I need something that automatically maintains the same temperature, versus a mixing valve.

Re: Automatic Water Temperature Regulator

Intelafaucet

Used one for 9 years so far

Always on

Flow is automatic vey low to high

Use his filters

I use Pex

Use his check valve on cold

LAW
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Intelafaucet

Used one for 9 years so far

Always on

Flow is automatic vey low to high

Use his filters

I use Pex

Use his check valve on cold

LAW
    I second the Intellifacucet from Hass Manufacturing. They are very accurate and easy to use—pricey, but if you can swing it I think they are worth it. I had one for about 20 years and it eventually gummed up. I called them and had a nice chat with Mr Hass (I forget his first name) who suggested some things for me to try. Those didn't work, so I sent it in to be repaired which took about 10 days including shipping both ways and was reasonably priced. Great product and service!

I have an Intellifaucet too. When I moved last and rebuilt my darkroom I found the mixing valves were stuck. It was very easy to disassemble and clean the mineral deposits off of the teflon seats. Works like new now.

Yumpin yahosaphat, I think that's it! Thank goodness I asked.

http://www.hassmfg.com/search.pl/121...om&new_pn=1092

Thanks very much.

I also have an Intellifaucet and am very happy with it. I also bought a second used one that I have yet to setup for my Jobo. My only failure has been the power supply (wall wart) died. I used the one that came with the second unit and it also died after a few years. I now have it setup with a replacement that is voltage and current matched and so far it's working well.

Bit the bullet and bought my Intellifaucet about a year ago. Justifying spending a little under 1K took me a while to get to, but after using it a few times, I wondered why I didn't acquire it years ago. I did install water shutoffs on both the hot and cold lines coming in and also a separate on/off power switch for the Intellifaucet..... redundant yes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroom.jpg  

I got one of these from Delta: https://www.deltaphotosupplies.com/s.../Model_25.html

It works well. I had the prior model, it needed rebuilding after 25 years, but parts were not available. I sent it to them and they sent me -- without charge -- a new current model. They are great to deal with.

Tin Can

No matter what you have, there are a lot of gaskets inside. I have a Leedal and an Arkay. They are both basically the same except the Arkay has a covering/case/housing, and the Leedal doesn't. But it both, through age and use the gaskets wear out and the parts get clogged with calcium, etc - and stick or leak. Both Leedal and Arkay made gasket replacement kits with gaskets, instructions and diagrams. Some of these might still be available.

Another option, if you dare, is a complete DIY job, but some of the gaskets might be pretty hard to find, depending on your location -- and taking one apart is something I would advise against unless you have instructions & diagrams, or unless you like risks, of course.