Thread: Packard Shutter installation questuion.

Packard Shutter installation questuion.

A back-burner project I am organizing i my head:

Want to use an adapter lens board on my Kodak 2D to let me use different antique or vintage barrel Lendes interchangeably. I have that set up already for some of my "modern" 4x5 lenses. Now I am looking at using some antique brass lenses. But they will need a Packard shutter behind the lens board.

What I have seen on vintage or period installations is that the shutter is permanently mounted to the camera body. This modifies the camra by drilling holes in the camera frame for the bulb tubing and screwing th shutter on. Can I get a Packard shutter mounted to an adapter board that will fit an 8x10 Kodak 2D or 8x10 B&J?

Is this a reasonable thig to pursue?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Packard Shutter installation questuion.

Need all variables

Lens board size

Which lenses

Do you have bulb hose pass through fitti

Pictures please
    Tin Can

Matt Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    A back-burner project I am organizing i my head:

Want to use an adapter lens board on my Kodak 2D to let me use different antique or vintage barrel Lendes interchangeably. I have that set up already for some of my "modern" 4x5 lenses. Now I am looking at using some antique brass lenses. But they will need a Packard shutter behind the lens board.

What I have seen on vintage or period installations is that the shutter is permanently mounted to the camera body. This modifies the camra by drilling holes in the camera frame for the bulb tubing and screwing th shutter on. Can I get a Packard shutter mounted to an adapter board that will fit an 8x10 Kodak 2D or 8x10 B&J?

Is this a reasonable thig to pursue?
    Totally reasonable - I have an 8x10 B&J with a setup you describe. I built a lensboard / box with Packard Shutter mounted in the back to use a nice petzval. Air hose goes though the Lensboard - no modification to the actual Camera.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	241542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	241543
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0645.jpg  
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

An issue you may run into with the 2D is that there's not much room to install a Packard shutter to the inside of the front standard itself. It'll probably be easier to mount it to the back of the lensboard, spacing it as needed to clear the rear lens group, if the lens has one. Just like Matt shows with his example above, find a shutter that has a large enough opening to suit the rear of the lens and build a spacer or box to mount the shutter in the correct position. You can buy the pass-thru brass fittings direct from Packard-Ideal, or look for used ones online. There's also the option of front-mounting a Packard to the lens, especially if the shutter housing itself is bigger than the lensboard, in which case it won't fit inside the camera.
    Here's an Ilex lens with a Packard mounted to the rear of a Deardorff V8 lensboard, and a larger shutter front-mounted to an old Velostigmat for my Eastman 2D. I found some PVC pipe the same diameter as the barrel of the lens, cut it to length and glued to the rear of the shutter. The whole assembly slides over the front of the barrel and is light-tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilex_305_2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	241544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilex_305_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	241545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Packard_shutter_adapter_4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	241546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Packard_shutter_sm.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	241547

Good examples

I have done similar

I have threads going for years on exactly this
    Tin Can

Be aware

Heavy Lenses need support

Chamonix sells an optional support for their cameras

Folding the camera requires board and lens removal

In studio lighting I can live with a 1 speed shutter and wide open aperture
    Tin Can

Watch this thread as I make a 8"https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?174118-Rare-Deardorff-Customized&p=1687530&viewfull=1#https://www.largeformatphotography.i...30&viewfull=1# Packard
    Tin Can

Good stuff here.

Jim_In: I really like the shutter box installation . . .looks good.

Re The issue of a lens support: Is a support necessary with enough of the lens extended behind the front of the lens board for balance? Seeing other support concepts on YouTube, I had thoughts of using an orphaned front standard from a Kodak 2D. It would just slide on and off the front geared track. The lens support itself would fit on like a lens board and could be adapted to different lenses.\\

But that is all in my head for now.

..That and this shutter project are both in the exploration stage at this point. Just now, on the smallest back burner.

In the end, I will have the work done professionally by Packard-Ideal, using his hardware and fittings. He did a nice shutter installation on a mahogany lens board for me using a shutter that I had found. It looks terrific and works great. I like it, but the shutter I provided is too small for the barrel lenses that I am looking for now. I do not have the tools, workspace or skills to do this work myself any longer.

The central concept I am imagining now is to mount a larger shutter to a 6x6 adapter lens board for a 2D that will mount lens boards that fit my Wista 4x5. I am using such a lens board now for my 1980s era lenses in Copal shutters from my 4x5 kit. The longer focal lengths work OK on my Kodak 2D as there is no front tilt/swing.

Anyway, that is the pending vision. Pending a modest, but adequate scratch-off hit that is.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!