Thread: Toyo Cut Film Holder

Toyo Cut Film Holder

I am looking to purchase new Toyo Cut film holders.
    Somewhere I read that the old plastic dark sides can cause fogging but that Toyo has replaced those with aluminum slides.

Is this true?

How would one know if you are getting plastic slides or aluminum ones? Is there a different serial number for them?
    Randhir Singh
    randhirsingh.net

Re: Toyo Cut Film Holder

I don't own any of the older Toyo holders, but I do have the new ones with the aluminum slides. I heard the same about the older style. Buy from a reputable dealer. If you have the chance to see it before buying, just tap on the slide with your fingernail; easy enough to tell metal from plastic.

I have 6 or so of them, purchased around 1995 more or less. Plastic slides. They work great and I've never had fogging. There was a period of time when people were complaining that the latest ones really smelled.

I have 24 Toyo Cut file holders (bought new) with the old plastic dark slides and with the new aluminum dark slides.

No fogging and no smell observed.
    Last edited by Per Madsen; 13-Aug-2023 at 08:47. Reason: More information

I have many many Toyo film holders - some with aluminium darkslides and others with plastic ones.

I have never had any problems with fogging on either types of darkslide material.

The only difference that I can see is that the aluminium darkslides are less prone to scratching when grit/sand gets between the darkslide and the film holder.

However, when you have removed the film from the film holder getting the grit out of the film holder is fairly simple - a sharp tap on a desk of the film holder (with the darkslide removed) is often enough to dislodge any debris.

It is a good idea in any case to routinely try and dislodge dirt from the felt traps, whether you are aware you have anything lodged in there or not.

I would happily buy more of either version.

In general it is never a good idea to exposure your film holders to direct sunlight any more than you have to, I keep mine out of the sun as much as possible by covering my box of film holders with a hat/piece of clothing/darkcloth. I also keep my film holders in "Lock n Lock" sealable food containers. I'm sure other suitable food containers are available.

Martin

I sell new Toyo 4x5 and 8x10 film holders. One batch of Toyo 4x5 film holders had faulty dark slides that led to fogging. I had a role to play in getting Toyo to change the material from plastic to aluminum.

@bomzi: Please send me a message.

Kumar

Thank you for the feedback.

Kumar, I've sent you a message.
    Randhir Singh
    randhirsingh.net

Toyo's seem to sell for a premium price. I have never had a problem with Lisco, Fidelity or any of the US manufacturers so have never had my hands on a Toyo. Is there any physical difference in Toyo holders or is it perceived better quality?

I like to have about 60+ holders so cost is an issue.

I use Filtered Compressed Air (small air compressor) to clean them and get zero dust spots on the negatives.

Jeffery Dale Welker

I have 22 Toyo 4x5 film holders all purchased via Kumar. I just ordered six more from him. As far as I'm concerned, Toyo film holders are as good as it gets. I have had zero problems. Built to last. High quality. I have Lisco and Fidelity holders that my dad left me. While they served him well, they aren't in the same league with Toyo.

Also, Kumar's prices and customer service are exceptional. I tell all my 4x5 and 8x10 LF friends to get Toyo film holders, and get them from Kumar. You won't be disappointed.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I have 22 Toyo 4x5 film holders all purchased via Kumar. I just ordered six more from him. As far as I'm concerned, Toyo film holders are as good as it gets. I have had zero problems. Built to last. High quality. I have Lisco and Fidelity holders that my dad left me. While they served him well, they aren't in the same league with Toyo.

Also, Kumar's prices and customer service are exceptional. I tell all my 4x5 and 8x10 LF friends to get Toyo film holders, and get them from Kumar. You won't be disappointed.
    Yes, it was great dealing with Kumar. Highly recommended!
    Randhir Singh
    randhirsingh.net