Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF lenses with cat's eye bokeh?

Question LF lenses with cat's eye bokeh?

I know it's not the most popular look, but it's a look "eye" love (ha ha). Are there any large format lenses known for this look?

Sample of the look, from fstoppers:
    Attachment 241499

Reference shot for the catty bokeh of one of my favorite lenses, Minolta's MC Rokkor 50/1.4, from Phillip Reeve:
    Attachment 241500

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I do like the look! Less the outlined look, mainly the almost halo-like effect of the warping bokeh.

Also, you might find it interesting that the effect is called optical vignetting, the bokeh is physically clipped (from photographylife.com):
    Attachment 241501

If I'm being honest, I would very much like to find a catty 300mm or so, with enough coverage for some movement on 5x7, with a pronounced cat eye sorta look. I do know that 50mm translates to 250mm, not 300mm, on 5x7, but I would like a bit more reach. I recently found out about the Tele Dynar 32cm f/6.3, which apparently covers 8x10, seems nice. Also, I already have a nice Fujinar 25cm f/4.7 which I haven't really tested the bokeh of. I should do that. I would hope a singlecoated tessar might have nice bokeh. Hmm... Pardon my liberal use of the B word...

Re: LF lenses with cat's eye bokeh?

Your links failed
    Tin Can

Cats-eye bokeh IS vignetting.
    A big Tessar at full aperture or near full-aperture should work for you. How it's coated won't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangleMeRandy View Post
    If I'm being honest, I would very much like to find a catty 300mm or so, with enough coverage for some movement on 5x7, with a pronounced cat eye sorta look. I do know that 50mm translates to 250mm, not 300mm, on 5x7, but I would like a bit more reach. I recently found out about the Tele Dynar 32cm f/6.3, which apparently covers 8x10, seems nice. Also, I already have a nice Fujinar 25cm f/4.7 which I haven't really tested the bokeh of..
    Going to longer focal lengths will not help you to get the cat-eye look ; because the vignetting is most noticeable as you get towards the lens's full coverage angle. The Fujinar however sounds like a good bet - see how that works out.

Maybe find a tele lens designed for 4x5 since they should have less coverage and vignette on 5x7.

Drew Wiley

Find a cat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fujinar-sc25cmf47copal.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	241523

What about the 1970s to 1980s look of mirror lenses in 35mm film format? All out of focus highlights make a little circle.

Has anyone ever mounted a 4x5 to a large-idsh folded optic telescope? A Celestron or other astro telescope with a
    TravelWide or WillTravel on the back could do that. Have to use eyepiece projection techniques to get the coverage.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Maybe a barrel lens with a cats eye shaped Waterhouse stop would also give the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Maybe a barrel lens with a cats eye shaped Waterhouse stop would also give the look.

The Fujinar SC lenses -- like the one pictured above -- were also sold as barrel lenses, and simply labeled Fujinar, without the "SC", which is an abbreviation for "SHUTTER COPAL".

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm

A "cat's eye" aperture could easily be made on any of the lenses -- even one that is variable. Just two concave, opaque sheets.