Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 1/2 in. F:6.6 Goertz Dagor Acme #3 shutter thread diameter and adapters

Question 9 1/2 in. F:6.6 Goertz Dagor Acme #3 shutter thread diameter and adapters

I've been using this late model, coated 9 1/2 in. Dagor lens S/N 826526 in Acme #3 shutter for many years using a cobbled together lens board adapter but would like to mount it properly at long last. I believe it's early 1960's vintage.

I can't find the information online for the thread/adapter size needed to mount on a standard lens board. Could someone please point me to this information.

Thanks,

Alan Townsend

Re: 9 1/2 in. F:6.6 Goertz Dagor Acme #3 shutter thread diameter and adapters

Sizes.com/tools/shutters provided this info:

Attachment 241434

SK Grimes may have the proper mounting flange in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Sizes.com/tools/shutters provided this info:

Attachment 241434

SK Grimes may have the proper mounting flange in stock.
    Thank you very much!

Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tundra View Post
    Thanks, Tundra. I found that the flange will cost $95 including shipping from S.K. Grimes, which is pretty high. I also started a new thread for a company called newssuperstore, which seems to have the same flange, although used, for about 1/4 the price. I may have to re-kludge a new lens board. I will be making a wooden lens boad, fyi. #2 screws with nuts are not that wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    Thanks, Tundra. I found that the flange will cost $95 including shipping from S.K. Grimes, which is pretty high. I also started a new thread for a company called newssuperstore, which seems to have the same flange, although used, for about 1/4 the price. I may have to re-kludge a new lens board. I will be making a wooden lens boad, fyi. #2 screws with nuts are not that wonderful.
    If you proceed to checkout I think you'll find the "flat shipping rate" of $45 changes to $12 and this will happen before you actually pay. Personal and gratuitous opinion from a Goerz (American) weenie here. The SK Grimes flanges are really nice and I think a late production 9 1/2 inch Dagor (have a hunch it has a "gold dot") deserves the best.

More general info: SK Grimes has a new website. Among other things, now you can order online. There seem to be some glitches to be worked out. Two days ago I tried to order two No. 1 Compur/Copal flanges. When I got to payment I got a message saying: "Sorry, it seems that there are no available payment methods for your state. Please contact us if you require assistance or wish to make alternate arrangements." I'm in California. So I contacted them and probably within an hour I got a reply from Adam saying that he would have their web person look in to this and in the meantime send me a invoice to pay. Shortly after that I got the invoice, showing $12.00 for shipping.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    If you proceed to checkout I think you'll find the "flat shipping rate" of $45 changes to $12 and this will happen before you actually pay. Personal and gratuitous opinion from a Goerz (American) weenie here. The SK Grimes flanges are really nice and I think a late production 9 1/2 inch Dagor (have a hunch it has a "gold dot") deserves the best.

More general info: SK Grimes has a new website. Among other things, now you can order online. There seem to be some glitches to be worked out. Two days ago I tried to order two No. 1 Compur/Copal flanges. When I got to payment I got a message saying: "Sorry, it seems that there are no available payment methods for your state. Please contact us if you require assistance or wish to make alternate arrangements." I'm in California. So I contacted them and probably within an hour I got a reply from Adam saying that he would have their web person look in to this and in the meantime send me a invoice to pay. Shortly after that I got the invoice, showing $12.00 for shipping.

David
    Here she is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4414.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	241658

Very nice! And in a late style Acme shutter.

Interestingly enough the No. 3 Acme shutter that my 1964 8 1/2 inch Commercial Ektar is mounted in has a nominal top speed of 1/200.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Very nice! And in a late style Acme shutter.

Interestingly enough the No. 3 Acme shutter that my 1964 8 1/2 inch Commercial Ektar is mounted in has a nominal top speed of 1/200.

David

I have that same lens and can confirm that 1/200 top speed. HOWEVER, I just had it fully CLAed and it doesn't remotely hit that speed. It probably never did even when new. Trying to throw that much mass around that fast in a mass manufactured device is probably a pipe dream. it's more like 1/125 in my case and the remaining speeds are between 1/2 and 1/3 a stop away from nominal - again, quite reasonable for a shutter of this age even with a CLA.
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

SK Grimes used to have a thoughtful review of Ilex shutters on their site... comparing them to a two-dollar alarm clock as I recall. It's worth a look.
    Of course those shutters are perfectly capable- if you know what your speeds actually are.
    *anecdotal*- I've only used the highest speed on my view camera shutters when shooting with studio flash- where the exposure is determined by the flash duration.