Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Graflex Replacement GG/Fresnel Lens

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Graflex Replacement GG/Fresnel Lens

Yes… that’s right. Ribs of fresnel and ground of glass are in contact with each other; Ektalite is on the lens side.

Arca-Swiss

You cannot put a fresnel on the lens side of this setup. If you do it will move the focus 2/3 the thickness of the fresnel. But if you add a fresnel on the outside, on top of the fresnel, it will brighten the image, but not throw the focus out. This is what Sinar and Linhof, on some cameras did, to make their screens brighter.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    You cannot put a fresnel on the lens side of this setup. If you do it will move the focus 2/3 the thickness of the fresnel. But if you add a fresnel on the outside, on top of the fresnel, it will brighten the image, but not throw the focus out. This is what Sinar and Linhof, on some cameras did, to make their screens brighter.
    What if the fresnel was originally in that position (lens side of the gg)? That appears to be the case here.

Arca-Swiss

You cannot place a fresnel in front, or on the lens side with this Graflex setup, as it will move the focus 2/3 the thickness of the fresnel. And so the film will not match the ground glass.
    You can add a fresnel on the viewing side of the glass, or the back, as the image is still formed on the ground side of the glass. So no conflict. Use glass for the ground glass, as any flex in the focus plane, will cause focus issues as well.
    Wista had a combo screen that works quite well with a clear glass cover. If you can fit that, you are in great shape.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Small town, South Carolina, US

The Graflex discussed in this thread was manufactured with the Ektalite (fresnel) lens placed in front of the groundglass (between lens and groundglass.)

What you are saying is correct in most cases UNLESS the camera was designed to operate the other way as discussed above where the location of the groundglass/fresnel arrangement is taken into account when locating the plane of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes… that’s right. Ribs of fresnel and ground of glass are in contact with each other; Ektalite is on the lens side.
    Thanks for the info! Is this documented in the manual? I can't seem to find it here: https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacem...wn-Graphic.pdf

I just replaced my ground glass and believe my Fresnel's rough side was facing the lens.

I'm not sure it's an after market Fresnel or if it matters? Is there a way to differentiate the factory Ektalite Fresnel from others?

My camera is a 4x5 Crown Graphic, Graflok back, 135mm Optar and Graphex shutter.

I placed everything in the orientation you specified. The focusing and screen look good but I guess I'll need to shoot some film to know for sure.

Brian's 8/7/23 post explains the right way the gg and the Ektalite fresnel are supposed to be installed. On the taking lens side of the fresnel (i.e., closer to the front) it should be smooth, with the ridges facing the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    But Rod, Graflex made some, not all, Pacemaker Graphic focusing panels with a fresnel in front of the ground glass. The GG rides on bosses. Focusing panels made for use with GG + fresnel have low bosses, focusing panels made for use with GG and no fresnel have higher bosses.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

From Section 6 of the manual linked in post 26:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3372.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	241950

On the same page are measurements of the bosses on the various versions of the back.