Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

Re: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

OK mine was a ULF kit... Have since sold the equipment but at one time put together a very light 11x14 system:
    11x14 Improved Empire State View (had to be one of the lightest 11x14s out there)
    Various lenses. If in shutters, they usually weighed more than the camera.
    two wooden 11x14 film holders in padded cases
    a really light (in weight) dark cloth with Velcro fasteners on it and the back of the camera
    Pentax digital spot meter
    Everything easily fit inside an unpadded backpack. A lightweight GG protector was a must have. Two pieces of Crescent Not Foam Corrugated Cardboard glued together at a 90 degree angle. Held on with Velcro.
    Miller wooden tripod with an adapted B&J simple piano hinged wooden head.

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    Recently, I put together a lightweight outfit to supplement my Sinar F2 and Bush Pressman. It doesn't take up much space in the car and I can carry it easily when walking around. The camera itself weighs 34oz. (2 lbs, 2 oz.) only. Included in the outfit is a Nikon 90/8, Rodenstock Sironar-N 135/5.6 and a Fujinon 240/9 with, filters, lenshoods etc. and 3 film holders. Total weight 9 lbs and 11 lbs if the Sirui tripod is included. (Actually I would use my Gitzo carbon fiber G 1228 tripod if possible.)

Attachment 243234

This is the first time I have ever tried to post photos so please excuse them if not sharp.Attachment 243236
    Those are the same lenses that I use for 4x5.

I use a hip pack instead of a backpack. Not sure why everyone else doesn't do the same. It is so easy to carry everything with one but I do keep the camera on a tripod and carry it over my shoulder. If I want to carry more than 4 holders/two Grafmatics (either/or) or a 120 holder I'll use a Victorinox sling bag for the film holders. The hip pack was made by LowePro- Orion AW. The added benefit of the hip pack is I never have to place anything on the ground. It opens up like a laptop. It also fits quite a bit. 90/135/150/210/300 lenses, filters, meter, etc. Everything I need. I put a small dark cloth on top then the holders on that. I never liked carrying a backpack. I think they are cumbersome. Plus they raise your center of gravity.

It is worth mentioning that I have two Orion AWs. An older one that is black and a newer one that is green. They have slightly different dimensions. I use the black one for 4x5. I don't think the green one would work as well. It is a bit deeper and a bit narrower.

Personally...I find that the hip pack/camera-mounted tripod over the shoulder combo works best for relatively short treks over even terrain. But for longer treks over varied/challenging terrain, I find that either a backpack, or packframe with gear lashed to it, allows my body to move and respond more safely and predictably as my overall center of gravity is more "properly" aligned, as well as keeping both hands free to grab onto trees, rocks, etc. as needed.

True, when I use a backpack I do have to put this down prior to setting up my gear - so I do appreciate those times when I can use a hip pack as I can, when necessary, leave this over my shoulder as I work.

But I also have a good "hybrid" solution - which is to lash (with bungees) my hip pack, camera, and tripod to a pack frame (older LL Bean "Guides Frame" - very nice quality and very light weight) - which allows for favorable "walking dynamics" as alluded to above, then when I arrive at or near a promising location, I can simply lean the packframe against a tree (or otherwise rest it on the ground) at which time I unclip the hip pack and sling it over a shoulder, and mount the camera to tripod and carry this over the other shoulder...allowing me, for example, to venture into a rocky stream bed and work there while keeping everything but my tripod's leg-bottoms (and sometimes my feet) high and dry!

For short walks under a few miles, I've been using an old shoulder strap camera bag with camera on tripod, but carried with another shoulder strap crossed over on the other shoulder. I had to figure ways to mount a camera strap to my tripods using zip ties and short rope loops. This is more comfortable than tripod on the shoulder and gives better clearance ducking under tree limbs and better balance with the weight closer to the hips. Easy to deploy as well as on the shoulder.

I also strap everything to a pack frame for longer hauls. My camera kit will approach 20 lbs when my DIY 4x5 camera is finished. Currently using 35mm or Speed Graphic.

Alan Townsend