Thread: Linhof Master Technika with pattern on bellows?

Linhof Master Technika with pattern on bellows?

Hello

I'm looking at Linhof Technika 45 cameras and found this listing where the bellows has a pattern. Is this a bug or a feature? It looks like it could be some kind of deterioration, unless it's something special from the factory.

Any ideas? Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394771592769

Re: Linhof Master Technika with pattern on bellows?

Reading the listing the seller states that there is cracking on the bellows but are light tight.
    It does looks kind of nice, if you buy it replace the bellows.

Vaughan, I purchased my first MT in about 2012 from an eBay seller, and when I received it I noticed it had the same pattern of markings on the outside of the bellows as your photo shows. I used it for the first year or so and did not notice any issues in the films that would indicate a light leak, but when I took it to Bob Watkins at Precision Camera (then in Skokie IL) for another issue he pointed out that those markings on the bellows (probably original to the camera which was made in the mid-1980s) were cracks in the outer surface of the bellows material that would (or maybe were) allow light leaks into the inside of the bellows. So I asked him to replace the bellows in addition to the other CLA and repairs that the camera needed. That MT served me well thereafter, but I've since replaced it with a nicer MT 2000 model that has been similarly CLAed and restored by Austin Calhoon at LAFLEX in California. That MT 2000 has been a pleasure to own and work with on many photo road trips across the US since then....
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

It's the "dreaded" zebra cracking of Linhof bellows from the 70's. The outer leather splits and the inner white stiffener is exposed. These absolutely leak light, so don't believe anyone who says they're still light tight.

I've had this happen on a Master Technika, and two different Kardans, all from the 70's. They were all fine when I purchased them, but they all cracked suddenly, and massively. This is a known issue, and seems to have been corrected in later years.

I don't know the actual cause, but I'm making an educated guess that the leather and stiffener material expanded and contracted at significantly different rates, due to changes in temperature and humidity. This caused stress in the leather that resulted in cracking. I'm making another guess that they used some type of plastic as the stiffener, rather than the traditional paper stiffener. The plastic didn't "give" when the leather started shrinking, so the leather split under the stress. This is just a guess on my part, however.

Nevertheless, the cracking always seems to be massive. I've never seen one that has just a couple of cracks. Any bellows from the 70's was probably fine for 30 or more years, but could unfortunately meet this tragic end at any moment. It's all very strange, but there's no question the bellows will need to be replaced.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

If you do decide to buy Vaughn, Camera Bellows in the UK can supply an OEM quality replacement.

You can replace them yourself with minimal tools.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    If you do decide to buy Vaughn, Camera Bellows in the UK can supply an OEM quality replacement.

You can replace them yourself with minimal tools.

Mike
    Thank you EVERYBODY for your replies. Bullet dodged. For something the price of a Technika -- none seem to be cheap -- I'd want it to be really nice.

Vaughan, If you want a really nice restored MT, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the Website of LAFLEX where Austin Calhoon offers various MT models that he has restored to his high level of quality in fit, finish and usability for reasonable prices. In my experience watching his site for such restored Linhof cameras and gear, items typically don't stay available very long before a "SOLD" sign goes up. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo