Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern lubes for Norma?

Drew Wiley

Re: Modern lubes for Norma?

Filthy? I never heard that about Norma before, and wasn't aware of her shameful past. She always seemed like a decent gal to me. I guess we all get fooled sometimes. But still, I wouldn't try to enhance her with silicone; it's bad for her bellows, or really any kind of fabric, leather, or wood. But we're talking about a metal monorail with an easily removable bellows. I never clean a bellows interior except with compressed air.

Guess I was lucky, and acquired two mint condition original tapered 4X5 Norma bellows, which I like a lot more than the later Sinar box bellows. But they're all fully interchangeable. Had my Norma out in the drippy cloud forest yesterday. Wonderful light.

Thanks everybody. And thanks for the link to the guide. I'd been looking for it.

And my Norma appears to have lived in a convent.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    And my Norma appears to have lived in a convent.
    Now I wonder what the nuns do in the darkroom...
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Developing nasty habits? (but only with modern lubes...no doubt!)

SINAR AD 03-1964 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Ad from March 1962. "The Automatic View Camera"
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    SINAR AD 03-1964 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Ad from March 1962. "The Automatic View Camera"
    This reminds me of the ad for the Leica M4 " You can load it wearing gloves"

Drew Wiley

And to think that Sinar later developed remote controlled view cameras will full movements which could hypothetically even go robotized into "hot" nuclear reactor areas and neatly record things (obviously with digital sensors rather than film). But what I get a kick out of is how all those old ads involve someone with a suit and tie. That dates them. But he is one step ahead of me - having the Sinar shutter, which would allow me to use some of my barrel lenses too.

Well, gotta go and develop my last batch of Norma shots.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I just picked up a later model Norma in good shape, but the movements are stiff. I'm sure it's from old lube. The manual says to clean it with petrol and to relube with grease. Are there more modern cleaners and lubes that would work well?
    Hello

I am about to sell two NORMA sets.

One set 4x5, the other 4x5/5x7 with many accessories.

In the larger set is, among other things, a small, unused original can with "permanent grease". In the original manual the places are marked where first to clean with gasoline and then to use this grease. For the fine drive is mentioned to clean them with gasoline (but do not grease). Unfortunately, it is not mentioned what this grease consists of....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grease.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	241252
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seite 13_quer.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	241253

Yes – that always makes an impression, times were much more formal. Fedoras are gone also. Often wonder how the world will look like in another 50 years.
    What an innovative camera the Norma is, with those features it seems it would be one of the best view camera for portrait photographers. As an aside, the design of of logo is quite elegant. Love the font. Reflects well what the camera is all about - an innovative modern design for it's time

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But what I get a kick out of is how all those old ads involve someone with a suit and tie. That dates them. But he is one step ahead of me - having the Sinar shutter, which would allow me to use some of my barrel lenses too.

Norma Moly Grease by Nokton48, on Flickr

"Premium Moly EP Grease Grasa Tipo Moli EP". Suitable for Ford Lincoln Mercury chassis, drum brake bearings, u-joints, etc. Lithium 12 Hydroxy extreme pressure grease. FYI: On the left in the tiny tin, is Sinar Norma original grease, which came with one of my cameras. Sinar used to tape the tin of grease (in a Sinar logo imprinted manila envelope) to the inside cover of the instruction book. As you can clearly see, it's about the same thing. I use a flat wooden toothpick to apply just the tiniest amount to the Norma lube points. Then buff off any excess. Sinar says "just the lightest emulsion coating" which is not much at all. The action should be super silky smooth.

Synthetics? Bah. Sometimes the olde ways are the best. YMMV I tried Philip's silicone trick, didn't like it
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain