Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo 1500 Studex

Gitzo 1500 Studex

Hello everyone

I own a Gitzo 1500 Studex tripod with central column.

I would like to use a plate instead of the column (as in the photo example).

Does anyone know if this insert is still available?

Thank you for your help

NormaN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studex.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	241150

Re: Gitzo 1500 Studex

Ask B&H

I am not sure

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...top_plate.html

Quote Originally Posted by NormaN View Post
    Hello everyone

I own a Gitzo 1500 Studex tripod with central column.

I would like to use a plate instead of the column (as in the photo example).

Does anyone know if this insert is still available?

Thank you for your help

NormaN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studex.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	241150
    Tin Can

Check out ebay "Gitzo #440 Platform / Plate for 4 & 5 series leg sets A useful part" and "Gitzo SYSTEMATIC Series Flat Top Plate for #4 / #5 Tripod". I think they changed the size slightly for the 5 series at one point. Try to verify that it will fit. Also, yours might have the darker paint finish.

I ordered some repair parts for a Gitzo tripod a couple years ago. I might have ordered from: https://www.gitzospares.com/

There are also many tripod companies that make parts that are compatible with Gitzo Systemic tripods. For example, my Gitzo plates and columns fit on my Leofoto and Sunway tripods, and vice versa. Check measurements....I use a Sunway extendable carbon fiber center column on my Gitzos when needed. It cost much less than Gitzo, it's much lighter, and it's more compact. The quality is terrific.

Here's the Gitzo part: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...te_Series.html
    Personally, I'd look for a less expensive option.

Maybe this would work? https://leofotousa.com/products/leof...-plate-adapter

Randy, that's not the right plate. That one fits on top of a center column. It won't fit in the main tripod mounting...collar?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    There are also many tripod companies that make parts that are compatible with Gitzo Systemic tripods. For example, my Gitzo plates and columns fit on my Leofoto and Sunway tripods, and vice versa. Check measurements....I use a Sunway extendable carbon fiber center column on my Gitzos when needed. It cost much less than Gitzo, it's much lighter, and it's more compact. The quality is terrific.

Here's the Gitzo part: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...te_Series.html
    Personally, I'd look for a less expensive option.

Maybe this would work? https://leofotousa.com/products/leof...-plate-adapter

I never said it was correct

I agree there may be cheaper

I spend a lot of time finding bargains

Randy, that's not the right plate. That one fits on top of a center column. It won't fit in the main tripod mounting...collar?
    Tin Can

Sigh. All I said was your (Randy's) link wasn't to the right plate. It still wasn't.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

For maximum multiuse flexibility, you can look for the the rare "anti-scratch, spring action telescope mount." I used my Gitzo 2 nights ago for the full moon.

Tie me telescope down, mate, tie me telescope down...

sung with a bad aussie accent....
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Question: Is using the tripod with the center column all the way down and locked in tightly so much less stable than replacing it with a plate? The plate doesn't seem to me to be attached that firmly anyway.

Doremus

Doremus, not in my experience. The main advantages of the plate are that it saves on weight, bulk, and the tripod can go closer to the ground. Of course, you miss out on the extended height and the ease of making fast height adjustments.