Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about unscrew off the front cell of Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL lens

A question about unscrew off the front cell of Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL lens

Can you remove or unscrew the whole front cell of Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL lens? It is strange that I cannot unscrew the front cell off like I can do for other large format lenses. Thanks.

Re: A question about unscrew off the front cell of Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL len

Do not do this!

Ever tap a stuck bottle of Ragu on the table...
    Tin Can

Photographer

Re: A question about unscrew off the front cell of Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL len

I just checked mine. It was tight, but putting it face down on a jar opener and it came right off the shutter.
    Keith Pitman

Thanks, Randy and Keith!

I can unscrew the front cell of my 80 mm Super Symmar XL. On the other hand I can't unscrew the front cell of my 65 mm Nikkor SW, so that does happen. To me one of the problems is getting a good enough grip on the shutter given the protuberances around its circumference. The other problem in the back of my mind is can you twist so hard that you shear something off in the shutter?

BTW there was no shim on the front cell of my 80 mm.

David

The best approach is to have the shutter locked on a lens board, but lens boards are not very easy to hold either.

A lens can be on a shutter very tight, but you won't damage the shutter -- unless the lens is glued in place. The only thing between the shutter and lens are threads.

Last resort -- if it's really stuck you could try ONE drop of lubricant on the thread -- if you have a hypodermic syringe. Only try this if all else fails and the lens is an a flat surface.

Although your shutter will probably be OK when trying to unscrew this barrel, still be careful.
    I have just had a bad experience with a Nikkor-W 210 that had a dent in the front filter thread. I gave it to an engineer in our prototype shop at work to have a look at how to fix it.
    He elected to make a cover for the front lens and them use a hammer-based method to straighten-up the dent.
    The dent came out quite well, but when I got the lens back to my desk and released the shutter preview button on the Copal 1 , I found that the shutter leaves were floating around inside, and the shutter also turned out to be parting company from front to back on one side.
    I sent it to a well-known repairer in the UK and they were not able to fix it.

And what did you learn?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REPAIR.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	241135

"Take the time to find out what this trustworthy professional person is actually doing with your lens" !

Donīt unsrew the front cells of high end lenses like this.
    The front thread part of the shutter is only fixed wirth very little screws.
    Believe me, when you unscrew the lens cell the shutter and in the consequence the lens as well are out of the center.
    The lens maker control it and it is adjusted in a tolerance range of 1/2000mm.

This unscrew and screw again in one reason why the romours of "monday lenses" (German idiom for products with less quality) will not end.
    I donīt believe that one of the well known lens makers ever deliver one LF lens which were not adjusted as in the given tolerances.

When you unscrew the front cell of this lens it is defect and needs a complete adjusting. But maybe you have the devices to check the accuracy?