Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2024 is the year of ultra large photography

Re: 2024 is the year of ultra large photography

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I need to be using my 11x14 more if I am to call myself a ULF photographer. 8x10 has been my usual go-to, but 5x7 is so sweet! And even 4x5.
    Vaugh - that is a topic I wanted to explore. It used to be that you HAD to have a large negative to make a large print. Then enlarging changed that and then digital got us even further removed from this fixed notion.

11x14 is clearly ULF and I imagine your contract prints are wonderful. But maybe we should be thinking of ULF as the size of the print. So your 4x5 camera could be used in making ULF prints

At the same time when we HAD to have that large negative to make large prints, I assume we had some people who just wanted a big negative. Just like me now...

I use the 4x5 to make 4x5 prints. The scene is composed for a print that size, and often will not 'work' at a much larger size. The below is an example that to me works as a 4x5 carbon print, but would struggle as a 20x24 image. Perhaps if one kept the viewing distance for the 20x24 to a significant length, it might be okay.

And the opposite can be true -- large images that use detail to carry the composition rather than form might suffer greatly reduced in size to a point where the detail is too small to carry the weight anymore.

Indian Creek
    Yosemite National Park
    4x5, 150mm,
    Carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IndianCrFallsSide2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    At the same time when we HAD to have that large negative to make large prints, I assume we had some people who just wanted a big negative. Just like me now...

I use the 4x5 to make 4x5 prints. The scene is composed for a print that size, and often will not 'work' at a much larger size. The below is an example that to me works as a 4x5 carbon print, but would struggle as a 20x24 image. Perhaps if one kept the viewing distance for the 20x24 to a significant length, it might be okay.

And the opposite can be true -- large images that use detail to carry the composition rather than form might suffer greatly reduced in size to a point where the detail is too small to carry the weight anymore.

Indian Creek
    Yosemite National Park
    4x5, 150mm,
    Carbon print
    I agree. This is a shot suited for that size. But some 4x5 are improved by a larger size as you point out.

Do you have any photographers who work in ULF you admire? I have examples of some on the "20x24" facebook page and am always looking to expand my appreciation.

What a great idea. Thanks for doing this. I know a lot of people loathe FB and I understand why, but it has been a good platform to stay connected with people across the world that have the same passion. I know a handful of people who are using 20x24 who are the ULF groups there. I like what you have posted and hope you continue to do so. I might have to find a 20x24 camera to play with next year.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    I agree. This is a shot suited for that size. But some 4x5 are improved by a larger size as you point out.

Do you have any photographers who work in ULF you admire? I have examples of some on the "20x24" facebook page and am always looking to expand my appreciation.
    In the 80s, it was my normal to make 16x20 silver gelatin enlargements from 4x5. I never printed bigger as the effort vs reward ratio for me was never high enough. I helped students make mural prints, but 16x20 seemed to be such a nice size to work with and see with. A little bit of dodging, a ton of burning...lots of fun! I have never enlarged my 5x7 or 8x10 negatives...especially those after I started using alt processes and upped my negative contrast target. My recent 4x5 negs are on Kodak Pro Copy Film.

I work with Jim Fitzgerald, who is on your Facebook site. A crazy enough fellow to handmake a book from his 8x20 carbon prints (all lettering applied to pages via carbon printing, also). Makes his own LF and ULF cameras...totally nuts stuff like that. beautiful work.

No -- 11x14 is as big as I need to go -- and I often use a modified darkslide to get two 5.5x14 images on a sheet of 11x14. A 5.5x14 neg is smaller than an 8x10 negative, so hard to call it an ULF image...the little bastard!

Pine, El Capitan Meadow, 2020
    Yosemite National Park
    5.5 x 14 Platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree_ElCap.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Was 2013 the year of ULF ?

I am looking for examples for exhibits and shows in the past that focused on ultra large format as a theme. The only one I have found so far is the 2013 show at the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, "Big Pictures". Can anyone suggest others shows with this theme? I thought it would help in planning something in 2024.

https://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibit...zqdv7OydnjW0Os

Glass Plates

for wet collodion

Large Plates

Ken Watson, USA, a practitioner of the wet collodion process, wrote:

"The largest plate made in America was 18 x 22 ins, derived from the largest size of Albumen paper that could be bought from France.

In the 1860s, there were no enlargers, so all prints were contact prints. Carleton Watkins had a camera specially made to take 18 x 22 ins plates. His views of Yosemite are recommended."

However, Christopher A Wright, a calotype and wet and dry collodion photographer, and consultant to the Getty Museum provided details of several enlargers from the 1860s and earlier.

1850s
    Tin Can

The largest plate made in America was 18 x 22 ins, derived from the largest size of Albumen paper that could be bought from France.
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

To me ULF is a contact print from a ULF film negative, period. Now that is just me. We all can agree that seeing prints in person is the only way to enjoy a finely crafted contact print. I am very fortunate to know Vaughn. He is my very dear friend and the one who's work inspired me to become a carbon printer many years ago. Seeing his prints literally changed my life and direction as an artist. Seeing the prints is a must. I'm lucky in that I get to see many of Vaughn's prints and teach carbon printing at Yosemite with him. So a gathering somewhere? How, when and where. Most of us can only do sites like this to share our work. Sad but true. My friend Luther Gerlach is an amazing collodion artist who works with ULF and also prints in historic processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    ......... Seeing the prints is a must. I'm lucky in that I get to see many of Vaughn's prints and teach carbon printing at Yosemite with him. So a gathering somewhere? How, when and where. Most of us can only do sites like this to share our work. Sad but true.......

I am sorry I missed Tillman Crane's Mammoth Camera workshops as well as Southern California gatherings you put on with Tri Tran, and Hugo Zhang. Tillman's were before I was really aware of ULF but have enjoyed the write ups of them in View Camera.

So the idea I am kicking around is a gathering in 2024 of those intereseted in ULF to show examples of the work in person and to have workshop for those interested in the learning the techniques. Needless to say, it would not be much of a show if your work was not included.

I am located in Chicago (home of ULF pioneer George Larwrence and the masterful Dennis Manarchy). There is the Museum of Contemporary Photography and the Art Institute - both with major collections. And serveral academic/public darkrooms. So I thought that Chicago might make a suitable site. But I am still studying all the resouces that are here.