Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 is the year of ultra large photography

Re: 2024 is the year of ultra large photography

T am working on many project

14X36" for one

Plenty of film
    Tin Can

well damn 717 is waaay long gone haha. maybe we can do July 17 next year for that format haha. maybe make it a yearly thing where we post that format on that day.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    But 2024 is the big one.
    Yes, 20x24 is a big one. I was in a workshop with a guy who had just taken delivery of his new 20x24. The whole idea sounded great until you had to haul it around, set it up, knock it down, haul it someplace else, set it up.... Also black and white 20x24 film is running $50/sheet in Ilford's 2023 special order program. No problem in the studio though. We did a group portrait of the workshop participants, which meant we got to haul out the big Schneider Fine Art XXL 770mm f/16 lens. Talk about ooos and aahs. The workshop leader almost dropped it, which elicited even more oohs and aahs.

I am not clear on your definition of 20X24

It that 20X24 inches of film? Or Metric...

or is 20X24" of paper neg ok?

Are enlargers allowed and what size?

Alt Prints?

Intaglio Prints?

Silk Screen...

I have organized 2 or 3 Print Exchanges

Right HERE

International welcome?

Nude MEN and WOMEN?

How old?

How do you cull?

Are DIGI 20X24 Prints allowed?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Yes, 20x24 is a big one. I was in a workshop with a guy who had just taken delivery of his new 20x24. The whole idea sounded great until you had to haul it around, set it up, knock it down, haul it someplace else, set it up.... Also black and white 20x24 film is running $50/sheet in Ilford's 2023 special order program. No problem in the studio though. We did a group portrait of the workshop participants, which meant we got to haul out the big Schneider Fine Art XXL 770mm f/16 lens. Talk about ooos and aahs. The workshop leader almost dropped it, which elicited even more oohs and aahs.
    Frank, is that you?

That was the 2016 workshop we took together at Common Commons taught by David Speltz and Richard Ritter. I had ordered a camera from Richard and went to the workshop to meet him and learn how to use it first hand. Here is (poor) copy of the photo made with that Ritter camera and the 770mm lens. David had all sizes XXL lenses!!!!!

I still have the negatives but my good copies of the prints are gone. I gave one to David for the gallery and swapped another with Roger Goun, another workshop participant, for his great photo of Chris Cristie on the presidetial primary trail in 2016. Roger and I are still in touch and I think he will be out again on the trail getting more of his wondering images. Maybe it is time for me a make some more good prints of that image of a happy time.

I have been using Richard's camera consistently since I got it. I built a hand cart to move it around so it really can go anywhere - no problem, no hassle.

Film cost issue? I have pretty much stocked up withlow cost or free lifetime supply of out of date, Ilford and Kodak 20x24 film.

Best,

Francis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img0000 (29).jpg  

You can certainly count me in. But let's organize here --Forget Facebook Forever--and then most importantly meet personally ASAP! .
    Art is true of all times. If one must call a work contemporary, then it's propaganda.

Frank, is that you?
    Yes, indeed. I am glad to hear you are living your dream! My aspirations have been much more modest. I am primarily making platinum/palladium prints from digital negatives scanned film and digital files. My darkroom is only slightly larger than 20x24!

I am glad to hear you now have a custom hand cart to carry your camera. I can't remember if you were using a dolly or a garden cart or something else when we were photographing the restored village. Great fun!
    Last edited by faberryman; 31-Jul-2023 at 13:33.

2024 is the year to celebrate ultra large format photography!

The coincidental alignment of the upcoming calendar year and the most common size of ultra large format photography is a good enough reason to celebrate ultra large format photography.

I have set up a public Facebook page, 20x24, that presents some of the history and current practices in ultra large format photography, with the hope of staging some in person ULF events in 2024 where those interested in this format can gather.

Please contribute your thoughts about ULF. I am sorry I missed the Mammoth Camera Workshops - it is time to bring back an inperson event.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100095072852654
    You do realize that in the UK its referred to a 24x20 ?

And how about those of use who use 11x14 ? Well it is a good idea. We need all the influence we can get.\
    Do you actual use 20x24?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I am not on Facebook and have no access to your posting there. Why can't you just do it here?
    Hugo,

You are clearly not alone in your feelings towards Facebook. This forum is a very special place - an invaluable and repected connection that links so many in the LF community. I will start cross posting information from 20x24 page to this site and see if there is interest.
    Thanks,
    Francis

I know of ONE LFPF member that shoots 20X24" film

and he has gone off

famous in sports
    Tin Can