Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

After one excursion in the field with my Sinar F2, I think it’s time to start looking for a lighter, more compact camera.

After some research here and elsewhere, the three cameras I’m looking at are the Toyo 45A, the Horseman 45FA, and one of the Wista 45 models.

My application is landscape photography, so I don’t need extreme movements, and my lens complement will be 90mm, 150mm, and 210mm (no extreme wides or telephotos).

Which one of these would best fit my needs and stand up to field use? I’m leaning towards the Horseman—any gotchas I should be aware of?

Re: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Or should I just bite the bullet now and get a Technika and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    Or should I just bite the bullet now and get a Technika and be done with it?
    I'd opt for a used Technika. Excellent ones can be had for reasonable money if you have patience and are ready to but that camera "at once" when you find one.

Small town, South Carolina, US

All three will work fine with your lens selection. (The Horseman requires a f/8 90mm lens to fit into the camera.)

My favorite is the Horseman also.

The Toyo A is probably the most flexible - easiest to use.

The Technika's are probably the best built but I thought it was heavier than necessary and sold mine long ago.

Drew Wiley

A Technika with sufficient realistic support is actually going to weigh MORE than a Sinar F2 setup, which can be balanced at any point along the rail. I know all about that one. My brother shot a Master Technika, while I shot Sinar F cameras.

But in terms of build quality and mode of operation, yet more limited bellows range, you can think of a Horseman FA as a Technika on a diet. It's fine for long-normal (210) down to wide-normal focal lengths.

and bent metal is expensive to fix
    Tin Can

I'll add that another factor is how far you plan on going away from the car!?!?!?!?

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I'll add that another factor is how far you plan on going away from the car!?!?!?!?
    Yes! I've always been a proponent of lightweight cameras and lenses. The OP mentioned that he doesn't need extreme movements. A lightweight camera might not have some "features" that might or might be (rarely) used, but a heavy load can stifle creativity!

For me, in a 4x5 I'd look for something between 3 and 4 pounds. And if shooting outdoors one doesn't generally need anything faster than f8. The faster (by one stop) f5.6 lenses are significantly heavier and bulkier, especially in the longer focal lengths.

Also, I believe the Horseman FA has a small 80mm lens board. Might work okay with the lenses the OP wants to use, but those lens boards are really too small to recess shorter lenses (if needed).

Small town, South Carolina, US

Also, if you already have a 210mm lens the rear element size must be small enough to go through the opening of the front standard of the FA. I think that the Rodenstock 210/5.6 lens will work. I believe it is posted elsewhere on this forum what will and not work on the Horseman.

A lightweight camera becomes more important when you add in the weight of other essentials -- tripod, lenses, filters, film & holders, bag/case,......... -- it adds up fast.