Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Chemistry

Kodak Chemistry

I've been a loyal customer since 1971. I had my issue with three bad bottles of Rapid Fix, and I guess I can live with brown Dektol. Mixed up a fresh batch of Xtol using distilled water. Just finished developing a roll of 120 Tmax 100 (diluted 1:1 with distilled water, 7.5 minutes) and now I have a completely clear strip of plastic. There is nothing whatsoever showing up on it. I can reshoot the subject, but it is 90 minutes away. Back when everybody was talking about Xtol failures I never had a problem.

I've had it. Mixing D23 is simple, it works, and I like the results. And I still have three quarts of HC110 yellow syrup.

Re: Kodak Chemistry

Yeah, I gave up on Kodak chemistry a couple years back, after buying Xtol, D-76 and Dektol and all three were bad. I make my own developers from scratch now (thank you ArtCraft!) with one exception: FA-1027 from Photographers Formulary.

Kevin, do you still have some of the XTOL you just mixed? Dip some film in and see if it develops - just to rule everything else out first.

The XTOL packets - do you by any chance still have them? Look for dates, where made and if it says Sino Promise.

D-23 is great but you might also consider just switching from XTOL to Ilford ID-11 (same as D-76). The differences between D-76 and XTOL are very, very small.

Alternatively there are some good XTOL clones, in particular Adox XT-3. However it can get expensive and availability is somewhat spotty.

On balance D-76/ID-11 or D-23 are the simplest solutions to the problem. Unfortunately this is where we are at with Kodak chemistry. The Kodak-branded chemistry business was taken over by Sino Promise in China a couple of years ago and we don’t know the status of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I've been a loyal customer since 1971. I had my issue with three bad bottles of Rapid Fix, and I guess I can live with brown Dektol. Mixed up a fresh batch of Xtol using distilled water. Just finished developing a roll of 120 Tmax 100 (diluted 1:1 with distilled water, 7.5 minutes) and now I have a completely clear strip of plastic. There is nothing whatsoever showing up on it. I can reshoot the subject, but it is 90 minutes away. Back when everybody was talking about Xtol failures I never had a problem.

I've had it. Mixing D23 is simple, it works, and I like the results. And I still have three quarts of HC110 yellow syrup.

multiplex

sorry to hear your troubles Kevin
    paulbarden has a recipe for a great xtol like clone if you have your heart set on vit c..

mixing from scratch is always good ...

If you like Xtol, how about Adox XT-3?

M.A. Wikstrom

I've been mixing my own chemistry of late. Not hard to do - just take the standard precautions when working with powdered chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    I've been mixing my own chemistry of late. Not hard to do - just take the standard precautions when working with powdered chemistry.
    I have been mixing my own D-23 and Pyrocat-HD/Glycol for some years now. (Noting that good, careful lab technique and skin/eye protection and ventilation are important.)

I happen to have a lot of Dektol left (the good kind) but when that is gone, I am going to mix my own D-72 instead.

I haven't used Kodak HCA or Fixer in years. I make stop bath with either diluted Glacial Acetic Acid (mix to 28% and then 6oz/gal for working solution) or plain white vinegar mixed 1+3.

The only thing I've not got a good replacement for is Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner. I have a bunch here, but when it's gone ...
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

I have the same question as tundra raise’s just above about Kodak RST.

If the maker of Kodak chems is now questionable for quality, I’m wondering if there are options for making one’s own equivalent of Kodak’s Rapid Selenium Toner? I know Ilford makes a selenium toner, but does anyone make their own?
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I used to make my own selenium toner. it required simmering poisonous chemicals for several hours. i did it outdoors on breezy days. when i went ot to check on it, i wore a gas mask. it isn't worth tryng if one isn't a trained chemist.