Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY shutter-speed tester: Informed opinions?

Niels

Re: DIY shutter-speed tester: Informed opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Can you tell if that's happening with my Nikon N6006, samples below. They seem OK to me.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1
    If you can't see it in the results, there is not much point in speculating if there is a problem.
    I mostly see non-uniform issues with horizontally travelling focal plane cloth shutters, not often with otherwise functioning electronically controlled vertically travelling shutters like in your N6006.
    ----
    Niels

Isn't it just easier to get a cheap oscilloscope and just measure it that way? I usually do it tat way. For the optical side I use a TOSLINK receiver and a short piece of plastic audio fiber. Makes it easy to measure at different places.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

"cheap oscilloscope" - is that an oxymoron?

Several years ago I assembled an inexpensive mini storage oscilloscope from a kit (a JYE Tech DSO150) for about US$20-30. I did a writeup of it on a guitar pedals forum, you can find it at the madbeanpedals.com forum (although you'd have to be a member to see the attached pictures). It works remarkably well, within the limitations of a single channel oscilloscope with a few-button interface.

An oscilloscope is a wonderful and flexible tool, but likely to frustrate a total electronics newbie. You have to gain at least some understanding of triggering to even see the signal you're interested in.

I keep harping on this, but the Shutter-Speed app is a good introduction because you can actually see the audio or light-signal (with Photoplug) waveform and there is an easy interface to measure the time from it. One needs to be able to handle at least that before venturing into building a more complex instrument.

No

I used to buy an airplane seat for my scope and Ultrasonic

The stuff was $100K

For a shutter tester there are $25 O Scopes

all day long

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    Tin Can

Certainly there are many ways to measure the output of a light sensor (oscilloscope, sound-card, Arduino, etc.) but most importantly the sensors have to be setup correctly to measure properly. For example, leaf shutters need a measurement at the center and the edge.

Also, focal plane shutters need a sensor each end of the film gate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	240927

Name:	Measurement points shutter.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	240928

Name:	Ezkm adapter 35mm small.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	240929

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Several years ago I assembled an inexpensive mini storage oscilloscope from a kit (a JYE Tech DSO150) for about US$20-30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    For a shutter tester there are $25 O Scopes

all day long
    I checked around and found a number of kits and assembled units, cheap! That does change the picture for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    It was, but it all depends on what you want to do and need to measure. You really don't need a 6GHz 4 channel one if it is only for shutters, then the max speed is 1/8000s or 0.125 milliseconds. For the price of a box of 4x5 you have a standalone 2 channel 25MHz scoop these days. Ok, you still need to know or learn how to work with it but if you can manage a modern digital camera or a smartphone then that should work.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I adapted a shutter tester on GitHub to work autonomously (instead of requiring a computer) using existing code and it seems to work accurately at least until 1/250, though I did get measurements of around 1/950 when testing an OM-4's shutter at 1/1000, which to me indicates it may be only 5% off at high speeds, though the shutter may be off...

I did another project which converts an automatic Polaroid camera to use manual shutter speeds with an arduino and the shutter tester was consistent with this project until around 1/250. I'm thinking at higher shutter speeds, the opto-isolator which shuts off the Polaroid shutter when the time is complete may cause a lag which resulted in around a 10% lower reading than the tester at 1/500. I compensated for that, as well as a 30% lower reading at 1/1000 and the tester reads speeds up to 1/1200, but it's hard to tell how accurate it is. The real test will be trying the faster shutter speeds out with film.

The shutter tester I did was very cheap around $7--using an arduino nano and laser as it posted at https://github.com/hackaninstant/Shutter-Speed-Tester

My github page also has the Polaroid shutter control project.

Well, we used to use oscilloscopes to do performance analysis on IBM mainframes in the early 60's. I remember one setup that had a scope and a film camera that would take photos of the scope screen on 100 foot rolls of 35mm film. So we'd figure out where to put the probes, load up a few rolls of film and let it run a sort of standard routine at a standard memory location - then spend the next week or so looking a the films and tying hard to figure out what the squiggles were really telling us - It cost $12 to get a 100' roll developed IIRC.