Thread: Jobo expert drum and fiber based print

Jobo expert drum and fiber based print

Can anyone show me how the Jobo expert drum clips work when working with print paper?
    I have both the winged ones and the ones without the wings. I’m not sure how this holds the paper down in particular I’ll be using 20 X 24 fiber base paper.

Drew Wiley

Re: Jobo expert drum and fiber based print

Good luck with anything FB that size not sagging during rotation, or of achieving consistent development without risk of fill and drain streaks.

Trays
    Tin Can

I think i have seen some sort of jobo clips on line for holding 20x24 paper in place in a drum. Am I rembembering correctly? Do they work?

These are the clips that I have used in the past. A friend has had no problems processing fiber base paper in his JOBO tank using the same clips. I, on the other hand, have had problems with processing fiber base paper in my JOBOs and switched to using trays. Though no problems with RC paper or film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JOBO clips.jpg  

Drew Wiley

The Jobo systems runs at too high an RPM, the fill and drain involves a small entry point not ideal with respect to short overall dev times, and those darn little clips, even IF they could hold the paper that size without sagging, might well induce surge marks. I would try something more like a pair of plastic springs the full diameter of the drum, one at the bottom of the paper, one at the top. Or a special masking tape can be tried around the edges under a safelight, one which is sold as Archival Premium black masking tape - very specific - and is actually permeable to solutions without losing its hold, and then easily removable afterwards. But I've never tried it with FB paper, just plastic based, yet successfully in much bigger drums than 20X24. Trays are soooo much easier and more logical in this FB case.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The Jobo systems runs at too high an RPM, the fill and drain involves a small entry point not ideal with respect to short overall dev times, and those darn little clips, even IF they could hold the paper that size without sagging, might well induce surge marks.
    For 11x14 film, the clips have never created any surge marks for me. I think it was and is due to the relatively high RPM of the JOBO. When I was using them to process RC prints, the prints always had white borders so that would have negated any surge marks showing up in the image. I also always used an initial water bath for both film and paper to lessen the effect of the fill and drain times on the total development. I still use the JOBO drums with clips for processing 11x14 film, but years ago totally switched back to tray development. Not being able to watch the image appear on the paper was the game changer for me.

Drew Wiley

The larger the FB paper size, the greater the risk of sag. And 20X24 is significantly larger than 11X14.