Thread: Carrying lenses on Sinar Lens Boards

Carrying lenses on Sinar Lens Boards

So I have more camera bags, lens cases and gear for transporting photo equipment than I want to admit in this forum. However, I recently bought several F-Stop camera bag insets for some digital gear. They worked well for that however on a whim I placed one of my Sinar lens boards in it and the height fit perfectly. You can then adjust the padding to accommodate the odd sizes of the lenses you are carrying.

You can see the bags on their website. Basically if the bag has an external height of 7" it fits an internal height of the Sinar board. So models Pro Large, Slope Medium, Pro Small and Pro XLarge. Other that Photobackpacker (who is unfortunately no longer in business) this is the first time I have had a case that actually fit the Sinar lens board well. They are not cheap but seem to be a great option.

-Joshua

Photographer

Re: Carrying lenses on Sinar Lens Boards

Just my two-cents, but I think that, unless you are using lenses larger than Copal 3, you are better off mounting your lenses on Technika size boards and using a Sinar-to-Technika adapter. Much less bulky, a little lighter, and a common denominator to using on many other cameras. Also, cases for lenses on Technika size boards are easier to find—think Fishpond, Stone, LL Bean, Bass Pro, etc.
    Keith Pitman

Agreed and I have done that before. But I shoot 8x10 so all of my glass is big. It's also good if you are using recessed lens boards.

-Joshua

Drew Wiley

8X10 can also be shot with small lightweight lenses. All of my field lenses are on little Technika boards. Sinar to Technika adapter boards are common enough. I don't use cases for them except in the lab. Just basic little bubble-wrap shipping sleeves in the backpack - effective, lint-free, washable, yet dirt cheap.

I do have a few large lenses that I use on the 8x10, but only when working near the car; and, those go into a large RPT lens case. When backpacking an 8x10, all lenses are small, mounted on Technika boards which fit into an adapter on the camera. I have various sizes of the single RPT lens cases that hold each lens.