Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightest tripod/head for Chamonix?

Lightest tripod/head for Chamonix?

I have a Chamonix 45-f1 (3.5lbs) that I want to take on some more substantial hikes this summer and fall. Unfortunately I was recovering from an injury most of last year and am really out of shape, plus I’m used to carrying a minimalist digital mirrorless setup, so the transition to hikes with LF gear could be hard. So I’m looking to cut weight where possible, starting with my support setup. I have a carbon fiber Feisol carbon fiber tripod that only weighs 2.5lbs, so realistically I don’t think there’s any weight savings to be had there. My Manfrotto three way head, however, might be able to be downsized, as it weighs in at 770g, around 1.7lbs. I’m thinking I might give my old Vanguard ball head a try, as it comes in at 450g, but I’d prefer a three way head. I’m not finding much out there though. How light is the lightest you would go on a head (or legs), and what if anything is out there?

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Lightest tripod/head for Chamonix?

You may want to look at the Manfrotto 056 head. I have the Bogen 3028 (old model old name) and find it ok for a light 4x5.)
    I use mine with a 2.5lb Gitzo carbon fiber. Under windy conditions I may hang some weights under the centerpost.

On ebay the Bogen 3025 heads are listed with or without the quick release provision. And are very inexpensive IMHO.
    Last edited by rfesk; 14-Jul-2023 at 15:32. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    You may want to look at the Manfrotto 056 head. I have the Bogen 3028 (old model old name) and find it ok for a light 4x5.)
    I use mine with a 2.5lb Gitzo carbon fiber. Under windy conditions I may hang some weights under the centerpost.
    Thanks, looks like that may be one of the lightest three way heads out there. Only 100g heavier than my ballhead. My Vanguard at least has an independent pan knob, but it may still be pain to use with a view camera.

I don’t think this is the lightest, but my favorite solution is the acratech panoramic head on a leveling base. It’s much lighter than any sturdy ball head I’ve used and much easier. I have a feisol with a leveling base built in. I don’t know if yours does.

For ball heads it's all about the size of ball. I have gotten away with a hi quality 25, like the bh-25 for light weight 4x5 setup.

https://reallyrightstuff.com/bh-25-ball-head/

I usually go bigger though for stability and usability. Feisol makes decent affordable ball heads. Their 40mm is my current go to for 4x5.

https://www.feisol.net/heads/ball-heads.html

-=Will
    www.willwilson.com
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by willwilson View Post
    For ball heads it's all about the size of ball. I have gotten away with a hi quality 25, like the bh-25 for light weight 4x5 setup.

https://reallyrightstuff.com/bh-25-ball-head/

I usually go bigger though for stability and usability. Feisol makes decent affordable ball heads. Their 40mm is my current go to for 4x5.

https://www.feisol.net/heads/ball-heads.html

-=Will
    www.willwilson.com
    The bh-25 looks a little too small, as my camera is 3.5lbs, lenses 1 lb, and I’m often using rollfilm backs that come in around 1.75lbs. But that Feisol 30mm is well within capacity and only weighs 290g. I may just pick that one up, as Feisol seems to make pretty good products. I’ve had my legs for 15 years now.

I was taught here on LFPF to not use any head

Adjust the legs

or use a 1/2 Ball Head
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I was taught here on LFPF to not use any head

Adjust the legs

or use a 1/2 Ball Head
    Why adjust the legs? Seems like a lot of work. Then you have to make a last minute adjustment.

What's a 1/2 Ball head?

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adapte...s%2C117&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why adjust the legs? Seems like a lot of work. Then you have to make a last minute adjustment.

What's a 1/2 Ball head?
    Tin Can

BING is fighting my searches for B&H!
    Tin Can