Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forest fires out West

Drew Wiley

Re: Forest fires out West

We're due for some smoke drifting south from western Oregon fires tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad here, but further north, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    We're due for some smoke drifting south from western Oregon fires tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad here, but further north, I dunno.
    On our side, New York etc. have been told to brace for more smoke from the northern quebec fires.

Now that the morning fog is burning off and it is heading into the mid-70s, the sky is clear of smoke (so far, some a little earlier in the week). High temps are forecasted in the low 70s for the next ten day...high temps around 90 inland a couple of ridges/watersheds from here. Summer is just getting rolling...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

A little bit of smoke smell, taste, and brown haze settled over the Bay yesterday. But the coast itself had clear blue sky (except where the fog moved in). I was at the cat and mouse intersection of clear and drifting fog shooting some of my remaining 4X5 Acros film at an estuary - lovely light.

Canada Smoke

Is making me very tired

I have factory lungs
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I say "burn them at the stake!" If they catch an arsonist that should be the punishment. I know it is not PC to say this. If we allow arson to keep happening without harsh punishment it will continue.Our forests are way too important.
    Nahhh. Death is too good for them. Hang them from their feet and dip them into a big vat of boiling water continuously but not enough to be fatal. Lift them out, then repeat. A few weeks should do it.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

The defense strategy of the latest arsonist indicted around here is that his meth lab "accidentally" caught fire. But given the fact his wife was burned alive in it, and that the remains of a timed detonation device were found, he'll probably spend the rest of his life in prison regardless. Several adjacent homes were destroyed.

At least that wasn't the case with the 40,000 acre or so Big Sur forest fire a few years ago, which involved a more decent individual merely trying to destroy any incriminating drug trade evidence by setting on fire his cabin back in the woods. Not everyone was amused however, since that is the southernmost holdout of our ancient coastal redwoods, and a lot of them were incinerated. The FBI shows up in town asking about your whereabouts, so whadda ya do? - panic, and make a big bright obvious torch of your hideout. Yeah, really smart. Maybe this would go better with the current Lounge thread about the Fargo movie, with its own stupid criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    Nahhh. Death is too good for them. Hang them from their feet and dip them into a big vat of boiling water continuously but not enough to be fatal. Lift them out, then repeat. A few weeks should do it.
    Be sure to keep frogs away from the vat so you don't re-do the "frogs in boiling water" experiment. ;-)
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Be sure to keep frogs away from the vat so you don't re-do the "frogs in boiling water" experiment. ;-)
    Right. Gotta keep the frogs safe at all costs.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

The press and reporters ignore the hundreds of thousands of wildlife that dies. The Birds and insects. This carnage is without measure. Yet no one says a word. I am a hunter and conservationist. I understand that animals , Birds insects and the fish in our lakes die from these immense fores. Canada is especially vulnerable You in the USA hear about the smoke. Here a thousand miles away from the fires the smoke smell is string. Nothing survives a fire We see what is left of a tree but the wildlife consumed and gone. turned to ashes. and that is the untold story
    Who will say this and document this? Who will photograph a burnt animal A bird dead from smoke inhalation Fish floating in an ask covered lake?