Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elwood 8x10 with Arista t-12 light source.

Lurker

Elwood 8x10 with Arista t-12 light source.

I've found access to this Elwood enlarger and wanted to print some of my negs in lieu of contact printing. I've worked on the set-up and have made my first print. The issue is the print times are extremely short, 2 secs plus some tenths is the limit at f/22-32 (min aperture) for the 11x14 height. The enlarger as high as possible, the light falloff might help with 16x20 but still would perfer some more time to expose. There is a flip-down 3-1/2x3-1/2 filter holder above the lens (access thru bellows with the lens removed) designed for the thin plastic Ilford multigrade filters. No manual. The filter mechanism looks homemade.

1. Looks like a slot in the Elwood head has been taped closed. Is there a filter tray in the cast iron head of the Elwoods, just below the lightsource?

2. Can I balance an Lee ND filter on the flip-up tray and hope I'm not as clumsy as usual?

3. Hold the glass ND filter below the lens. (Since this is the cheapest, I'll give it a try.) I thought above the lens was a better method, what am I giving up; sharpness, difficult method in wiggling fingers and holding the filter.

4. I also want to print some 5x7 and plan to cut a mask to fit the 8x10 negative holder. The head has working blades to mask the four edges. I would think a scanning-type mask would work or help? Concerned the mask thickness needs to be the same as the negative, might expose and fix a neg to make the mask.

5. Mount a large ND filter to the bottom of the light source. Expensive, no?

6. Am I missing sumthing other than a few marbles?

TIA,
    David

Re: Elwood 8x10 with Arista t-12 light source.

What wattage bulb are you using?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What wattage bulb are you using?
    Don't know as it's not my enlarger, I've already broken the top neg holder glass so I'm leery of working on it. I'll open the head and see if the owner doesn't know. Are these exchangeable? Cheaply exchangeable?

I love my 3 Elwoods 8X10 and 5X7 stand up and one wall mount 5x7

Sounds like yours is modified for ARISTA

OE Lamp is now very rare and long IC lamp which is adjustable

Needs a stack of about 10 sheets glass to slow down neg heat

and a sandblast center filter

Glass is easy

Let's get some pics of yours
    Tin Can

The original milk glass diffusers are fragile and irreplaceable, so be careful if you open it up.
    The Aristo light source is a cold light, right?

Since I don't have one of those on my Elwood, I'm a bit puzzeled,
    Maybe a rheostat?

Have you checked these out:
    https://www.light-sources.com/wp-con..._head_info.pdf
    https://www.light-sources.com/wp-con...ead_info_0.pdf
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Basicly an Aristo lamp is Neon with a very special gas and coatings

I have 2, I dislike them and too fragile to ship

Most 8x10 and 5x7 Elwoods have cast mount for for ARISTO and with the ARISTO no heat glass is used

The sandblasted center filter could be made at a Grave Stone blaster

The have a LOT of expreience

Or as I have done make one with pencil and paper and 10 glass heat shield

Then FIND 250 Watt enlarging long neck frosted, no printing on top and rewire with NEW ceramic lamp socket, Amazon has them

I lower the 120 VAC to 80 to make the bulb last longer than their usual short life

Move the lamp height to optimal
    Tin Can

I used to have a similar setup. Why not just put some neutral density designed for lights from a place like Rosco (or similar)? That wouldn't be very expensive.

For example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
    You could likely double that one up. There might be a better choice, depending on how much ND you'd like.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use an Elwood C-2 8x10 with Aristo 1212. My exposure times are pretty normal. Ilford Classic with #2 filter f16 around 20 sec. Your T-12 is the high intensity version of the 1212. https://www.light-sources.com/wp-con..._head_info.pdf

ND filter on lens would be the easiest way especially with a screw on filter. Or you could add another diffusion piece in the head or right under it. Probably easier to get a piece of plastic diffusion material than a large ND filter.

Are you using VC paper? If so, how are you handling filters? My setup includes a homemade filter drawer and Ilford 12x12 in filters. In your case below the lens filters would probably be easiest unless the lens is too big.

If you want parts info PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

If the Aristo head is set up like mine, it can be more or less sit and rest right on top of the bellow frame(it's the exact same size on mine, the Aristo head and the Elwood bellow frame opening), technically no complicated mating contraptions necessary but someone can a lot crazier than I am. If you said it's taped(most likely to prevent stray lights), depending what kind of tape it is, maybe you can peel back the tape and investigate. On my Elwood, there is a rod connecting to a flipping filter inside the bellow, giving potential to use filters above the lens. The other option like you say it's under the lens filter(to me a better option), potentially one can use something like the Kodak MG filter holder that clamps onto the lens, you can make your own ND filters(cut your own size from cinema lighting ND filters)

Lurker

Wow, the forum delivers the goods.

I'm using VC paper and the Ilford plastic filters. I used a set of Lee plastic ND (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) and got a beautiful snow storm test print. I'll also need to mask some negs. I've now got plenty of time to print with and it is great fun. The ND filters will let me modify the time.

The previous owner built a wooden box to hold the Arista. Four clips and screws retain it to the head but it's built such that just it's own weight keeps it in place. There is even a corner reduced for the upcrank. I added the wings to block light spill from the negative holder.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2330.jpg