Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My DIY camera backpack for Calumet CC401 4x5 camera part 1

Re: My DIY camera backpack for Calumet CC401 4x5 camera part 1

Fun idea! Love the rail sticking out. Judging from the plastic of my wastebaskets, it should last a couple years. What is important is that you did not add much to the over-all weight.

I have gotten spoiled with my internal frame travel-pack for my 8x10. Being a front-loader, everything is accessable and quick to re-pack. That got test once when I got surrounded by a herd of elk during a long exposure in the redwoods. All was cool until the bull showed up and started to make ugly noises at me. I don't even remember packing up, I did it so fast! The old guy calmed down after I moved away from his ladies and up and over a couple fallen redwoods.

But the straps and the waistbelt all hide behind a zipped panel if not needed. Easy to store and move around in the van on photo trips. I have a canoe portage pack for the 11x14 -- it has the needed volume, but not quite as comfy...I am 6'3" and the pack was made for someone much shorter.

When possible, with the 4x5 and the 5x7 I hike with the camera on the tripod and the holders/meter/etc in a shoulder bag. Nothing needs to be put on the ground (except the tripod legs) and camera is always ready to go.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by mhayashi View Post
    No, I don’t post online and am a mere amateur.
    I am preparing for wetplate.
    I don’t have much time to shoot these days, but plan to shoot once my kids grow up in a few years.
    I have enough time to buy gear in midnight, by clicking the order button.
    haha.
    It would be very busy with raising kids!

If you are on Facebook, there is a great group called "Japan and Australia Alt Connections" that you may find interesting.

Yes, I am a member already.

I like this idea. I was thinking a backpack designed for carrying a child could be adapted to do this. I have a 17 lb 8x10 camera I want to lug around...

Looks like a fine solution to a real problem. I wouldn't want to take a CC-402 into the field. It's a capable camera; I used one on the job in the 1980s, but never thought of it as portable.