Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of 4x5 Developing Reels

Re: Opinions of 4x5 Developing Reels

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    I’ve been using the 5x7 BW King 6-sheet stainless reels and tanks out of China. These will work with both 4x5 and 5x7 sheets when loaded using the 5 “ edge. These handle just like big 120 SS reels and tanks and are effective. I bought my two sets new on EBay but they no longer seem to be offered for sale as new units.
    I found their site, and the reels look very “industrial”. As you mention, they don’t seem to sell on eBay and there’s no links to dealers on their site. If anyone has links to a dealer, please post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    B’s is a much better device than the MOD54.
    Thanks. I found some posts about the B’s and some people have mentioned issues with the reel: the rough 3D printed plastic can scratch negatives and the close contact with the back of negatives can prevent complete removal of the anti-halation layer on films that have it.

Why do you think it’s better than the MOD54?

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    Thanks. I found some posts about the B’s and some people have mentioned issues with the reel: the rough 3D printed plastic can scratch negatives and the close contact with the back of negatives can prevent complete removal of the anti-halation layer on films that have it.

It’s just a matter of knowing your tool.
    The MOD54 has served me well after I adjusted my agitation/inversion method.
    Since I get as good results as I could wish for and with little effort , someone would have a hard time convincing me that another system is better.
    ----
    Niels

I have most of the NEW reels

I really prefer NOT bending film into tubes

I want flat film to stay flat
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    I’ve been using the 5x7 BW King 6-sheet stainless reels and tanks out of China. ... I bought my two sets new on EBay but they no longer seem to be offered for sale as new units.
    I purchased a BW King 5x7 tank a year or two ago, and within a few weeks of purchase contacted them about buying the 4x5 version. The reply I received (English is not their first language, they used Google translate) suggested that the tanks were a limited production run and are now out of stock, and not being produced again.

I have a v1 B's 4x5 reel and the current v2. The latter has some design changes to help mitigate the issue with anti-halation removal, but with some films it remains. That said, however, a quick run through hypo clear before a good wash will totallly eliminate any residual dye. I've never had an issue with scratched film, but I suspect arriving at a smooth agitation regiment might have something to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, the B's isn't ideal, just the best of the tank inserts. Most uniform development, less fiddly regarding agitation with respect to sheets coming loose, gouges etc.

For several years, when I lacked a darkroom, I used one of the old Nikor stainless tanks with its adjustable reel. They come up for sale occasionally, but I can't recommend them. Despite taking the utmost care with that setup, I ruined many negatives. Happily I was able to build a darkroom in the house and have gone back to tray processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the B's isn't ideal, just the best of the tank inserts. Most uniform development, less fiddly regarding agitation with respect to sheets coming loose, gouges etc.
    I agree with Michael's observation about the MOD54 - I've also had issues with sheets coming loose.
    With some persistence, I was able to develop a better technique for using it.

I've found that gentle agitations help prevent sheets from slipping off the reel, which caused uneven development on the sides and corners of a couple of sheets from one side of the reel.
    It happened twice that I can remember, and not as of late, knock on wood.
    It can be alarming to hear and feel something come loose while agitating the reel, and I was fortunate it did not ruin entire sheets.

Overall, there is definitely a learning curve with the MOD54, but it's worth it because I am able to get great results.
    Just make sure you load the film notch in the top LEFT corner and agitate GENTLY.

I am looking forward to giving the B's Reel a try very soon.
    If it was not for workers at my home fixing and surfacing the driveway, I'd be out shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have most of the NEW reels

I really prefer NOT bending film into tubes

I want flat film to stay flat
    How do you process sheet film, Mr. Can? In trays?