Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions of 4x5 Developing Reels

Opinions of 4x5 Developing Reels

I'm just getting back into 4x5 after twenty years. I sold all my gear long ago and am starting from scratch.

I think the best option for me is a reel and tank system to develop 4x5 BW in small batches (I average 6-8 sheets per outing). The two reels I'm looking at are the MOD54 (for the Paterson tank system) and the Jobo 2509n reel in a 2500 series tank.

My question is which one of these is easiest to load in the dark?

(While I'd prefer a better option, like a Jobo 3010, that's out of my price range at the moment after buying a camera, lenses, etc. Perhaps I can consider it in a few months.)
    Last edited by Fungus; 10-Jul-2023 at 18:54.

Re: Opinions of 4x5 Developing Reels

I used the Mod reels when I started LF - I only had issues a handful of times (probably my fault being overly rough when agitating) but have read mixed results from others.

I bought a Stearman Press when I got back into 4x5 a year or two ago which only does 4 sheets at a time (so may not appeal to you) but find it easy to load and pretty foolproof. The smaller volume of chemistry required is also nice.

I dropped using the Jobo 2509n years ago as it was difficult even with the load assist tool.

I have been using the MOD54 for many years, and it is not difficult, but there is a learning curve; make sure you load your film with the notch in the top LEFT position, or your film will not process correctly.
    Another option when using a Paterson Tank is a B's 4x5 Developing Reel. I just received one and have not put it through its paces yet, but I think it might be easier to load than the MOD54.
    Both of these reels will develop 6-4x5 films in one tank.

There are other options, but I stopped looking after the MOD54 met my needs.
    I travel with 4x5 Triple Sleeves (3x2=6), so I like having a 6-sheet developing tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    (While I'd prefer a better option, like a Jobo 3010, that's out of my price range at the moment after buying a camera, lenses, etc. Perhaps I can consider it in a few months.)
    Yes the 3010 goes for around $600.00 new. Keep your eye out for a used one. Probably 4-5 years ago I found one up for auction (at a buy it now price) for about 25% of that price. Described as used but when I got it I really think that it was never used. I've seen some JOBO drums that were unlabeled go for bargain prices... bought one that takes two 11x14s from an American seller/dealer. Side by side with an OEM JOBO, I can see absolutely no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yes the 3010 goes for around $600.00 new. Keep your eye out for a used one. Probably 4-5 years ago I found one up for auction (at a buy it now price) for about 25% of that price. Described as used but when I got it I really think that it was never used. I've seen some JOBO drums that were unlabeled go for bargain prices... bought one that takes two 11x14s from an American seller/dealer. Side by side with an OEM JOBO, I can see absolutely no difference.
    Last year I bought a 3010 in like-new condition from Camera West. The only problem, I prefer semi-stand processing now.
    I never used it and even bought a very good condition used Unicolor Uniroller for it.
    One of these days, I will put it up for sale because I found a sweet spot in semi-stand development.

So if you think you may be inclined to try stand or semi-stand development, sadly, the 3010 is not an option.

B’s is a much better device than the MOD54.

I have the 4323 tank from decades ago and the 2 reels that came with it. For larger batches (up to 12 4x5 )I like it very much; I use it with an old Beseler color print drum base. The top is a bit of a chore to screw on fully, maybe just my particular tank.

I also use the Stearman 445. Following Tim's agitation directions to the proverbial letter resolved some uneven development I was getting with slower end-over end routine. It's quick and economical for loads form 1 to 4 sheets. If using 1 or 2, face it/them to the tank's outer walls.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Tim just released the SP-645 which does six sheets in one run. That may fit your needs perfectly.

I’ve been using the 5x7 BW King 6-sheet stainless reels and tanks out of China. These will work with both 4x5 and 5x7 sheets when loaded using the 5 “ edge. These handle just like big 120 SS reels and tanks and are effective. I bought my two sets new on EBay but they no longer seem to be offered for sale as new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I’ll keep my eyes open for a used 3010. There’s only one used one up on eBay at the moment and the guy wants $500–I’d rather buy new than pay that.