Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

The OUTSIDE diameter if my UK version is 37mm. My Kodak slip-on adapter is 1 15/32 inches equal to 37mm. This adapter is designed to use Series 6 filters..
    As posted earlier in this thread --I epoxied a filter step up ring to this adapter to use 67mm filters. I could have just as easily made it to use 52mm filters.

There are inside threads on the lens but they seem to be for threading the lens element in the lens - not to screw in filters. There are not enough threads available.

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Sorry for asking you so many times. I'm going to try looking for Kodak screw in adapter #27 first, but it says that it can be used with a type IV filter.Is there a standard called "IV"? (I remember about 30 years ago, but was it the same filter as the Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4 lens?) Then, should I look for an IV-52mm adapter and get it? Please excuse my ignorance. And thank you again for all the responses!

Hello, Color and Cielo,
    It is my understanding that the interior threads of Kodak and Wollensak lens barrels from that era are NOT intended for filters...the threads are non-standard, and only serve to hold the lens element retaining and trim rings.
    Slip-on Series adapters as mentioned above are the most practical way of attaching filters to those lenses.

Dugan, so,,, this Kodak screw in adapter #27 does not work on the inner thread, but on the barrel (outside) of the lens? So how does it attach to the lens? Does #27 have a structure that can be screwed in and tightened? Also, does that #27 have IV filter threads? Thank you for your detailed explanation every time.

Please post a photo for Color and Cielo of one of these lenses in a Flash Supermatic shutter so that lens can be seen not to have filter threads. The ones in a Graphic or similar shutter or a UK 370 model have a mount with filter threads and can be changed easily to a “modern” shutter.

I do not have a copy of the lens in question, but here are some photos of how a Series Filter setup works for lenses with no filter threads:

Attachment 240293Attachment 240294Attachment 240295

thank you Conrad and Dugan. It's more complicated than I imagined. It looks surprisingly heavy. Those gadgets and colors reminded me of when my uncle used to take apart and clean the carburetors of Honda motorcycles! Thank you for all your hard work. But well, what can I say, isn't there a way to attach the filter a little more easily? I want to use a 49 or 52mm filter via an adapter when shooting outdoors.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Color and Cielo View Post
    thank you Conrad and Dugan. It's more complicated than I imagined. It looks surprisingly heavy. Those gadgets and colors reminded me of when my uncle used to take apart and clean the carburetors of Honda motorcycles! Thank you for all your hard work. But well, what can I say, isn't there a way to attach the filter a little more easily? I want to use a 49 or 52mm filter via an adapter when shooting outdoors.
    It’s only complicated if… you need to use modern filters on a vintage lens that wasn’t designed for modern filters, Except if the lens accommodates either Series VII or VIII adapter ring. Series VII adapters will accept a 49mm filter and Series VIII will accept 67mm filters directly, in lieu of the adapter ring.

If you want basic contrast filters, then using the filter solution contemporary to your lens is easy. Being in Japan might make it a unique challenge but in the US it’s easy to buy all of that here. I use Series adapters and filters on several cameras; it’s very straightforward.

Honestly, in your situation it might be more efficient to attract the filter (and a shade) with a low-tack tape.

Hi Brian, thanks for the candid views and explanations! Ha, in fact, I strongly feel that your opinion is correct. Even though they are all available on eBay, it's hard to find vintage lens accessories here. I finally understood the filter structure of this lens this time. The 7 1/2 lens attached to the Betax shutter was easy to attach to the 52mm, so I misunderstood that the Kodak lens was also easy to put on and take off the filter. I'm thinking of making my own adapter using the tools I have now. But well, I'd like to implement your (and every one!) advice, so if possible could you please tell me again what Kodak adapters I should look for. (By the way, is the IV filter the same standard as the Leica filter that appeared later?) In other words, what and how should I look for a 52mm or 49mm filter adapter? They don't seem that expensive, but I don't want to stock up on my drawers with any more useless inventory! Thank you again.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Color and Cielo View Post
    Hi Brian, thanks for the candid views and explanations! Ha, in fact, I strongly feel that your opinion is correct. Even though they are all available on eBay, it's hard to find vintage lens accessories here. I finally understood the filter structure of this lens this time. The 7 1/2 lens attached to the Betax shutter was easy to attach to the 52mm, so I misunderstood that the Kodak lens was also easy to put on and take off the filter. I'm thinking of making my own adapter using the tools I have now. But well, I'd like to implement your (and every one!) advice, so if possible could you please tell me again what Kodak adapters I should look for. (By the way, is the IV filter the same standard as the Leica filter that appeared later?) In other words, what and how should I look for a 52mm or 49mm filter adapter? They don't seem that expensive, but I don't want to stock up on my drawers with any more useless inventory! Thank you again.
    Probably the easiest and most efficient way you can solve this problem is to let a real expert help you. That way you’ll get the right parts the first time. Check out www.FilterFind.net to see what’s available and prices. Look mostly at the Series VI (6) for your lens. Then send Tim an email with description of your lens and the pic of calipers on the outside of the lens cell. Ask him to put together a filter kit for you. Minimal would be an adapter, retaining ring, shade, yellow and red filter. If you see other filters you might want buy them now! Also tell him that you’d like to use 49 or 52mm standard filters as he might know a step-up ring solution that I don’t. He’s a very good guy to do business with. I don’t know if he ships internationally or not. Postage might be expensive but it only hurts once and is quickly forgotten if you get what you really need.

That is how I deal with the vintage lenses that I use and it works well. Not fact and lacks the flexibility of modern sized filters but I find more often than not that my real needs tend to be very basic. You might be similar… or not.

Can’t answer the question about Leica.