Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Thanks for the detailed explanation. If possible, it would be helpful if you could post the image as well. Also, I am unfamiliar with inch notation, so I would appreciate it if you could post it in detail. (I learned inches instead of mm when I started working with older lenses)

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Quote Originally Posted by Color and Cielo View Post
    Is the Size 370 "Kodak" Red Filter still available? Is it listed on Ebay or something?
    Sorry, it's not for sale, I showed the photo as examples of the various types.

Here's a link to the slip-on adapter you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/401750468950
    This one's on eBay, but there are others out there too. Just Google "Kodak 33mm slip-on adapter 1 5/16" and you'll come up with several.

I found a Series VI to 52mm stepping ring for my adapter so I can use 52mm screw-in filters. Works like a charm.

Doremus

The lens that I have that looks just like yours (not the mount 370 made in UK) has the serial number starting with OC making it from 1961 uses the Kodak screw in adapter #27. The threads on the adapter measure 1.430” (36.32 mm) x 36 threads per inch (.7mm).
    The threads in the front of the lens measure 1.405”(35.69mm)
    By the way, if you find or have an Ektar that is 127mm f4.7 with the same shutter type it will probably use the same front filter adapter, either screw in or slip on.
    Have fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230709_114532.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	240254

Conrad, oh my, it was an inch screw so I couldn't attach a Kenko 36.5mm filter! For the same reason, it is impossible to attach a 35.5mm filter to this lens, right? That's why I should look for "Kodak screw in adapter #27" am I understanding this correctly so far?? I eventually want to put on a UV filter, but it's a (Kodak screw in adapter #27) adapter and I have to buy the filter separately, right? Forgive my impertinent question.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E...10&sr=8-1&th=1

Doremus, this looks like a great adapter, will I be able to fit this on my Ektar? My lens seems to have a front thread of about 36mm. If I can get this to fit, I will be able to use my large stockpile of Nikon 52mm filters!

Whether you get the threaded #27 adapter ring or the slip on adapter, you will still need a step ring to end up with your 52mm or whatever size filter you want. Either way the rings are not costly and can be found in good condition.
    Last edited by Conrad . Marvin; 10-Jul-2023 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Color and Cielo View Post
    Doremus, this looks like a great adapter, will I be able to fit this on my Ektar? My lens seems to have a front thread of about 36mm. If I can get this to fit, I will be able to use my large stockpile of Nikon 52mm filters!
    The info I have is for the U.S. version of the Ektar. The outside dimensions of the outer ring of the front element are given as 1 5/16 inches or 33mm. If yours is different than that (and likely is, since you say the filter threads are about 36mm), then you'll have to find a different adapter. There are likely push-on adapters for your lens as well, or you could have one made.

Ideally, you could find, or have made, a step-up ring from whatever front mounting threads your lens has to a convenient filter size (I like 52mm for my smaller lenses, so they're all adapted to that size). That is, of course, if there are actually mounting threads for a filter or filter adapter on your lens. The U.S. version does not have any, hence the need for the push-on adapter.

Whatever the case, as Conrad . Marvin points out, if you find original adapters for your lens, they will be to a then-common series filter size (VI most likely). You'll have to adapt from this to 52mm to use your stockpile of Nikon filters. Or, you can have someone like S.K. Grimes here in the states make you a custom adapter directly to 52mm. This, however, would likely be more costly.

I'm not really that familiar with the U.K. version of the lens and the possibilities for adapting to filters. Perhaps you could contact Ian Grant, who posts regularly on this forum and over at Photrio by P.M. He is quite knowledgeable about photo equipment marketed solely in the U.K. and would most likely have a definitive answer for you.

Best,

Doremus

It isn't enough to have the diameter, you also need to know the pitch.
    Expert in non-working solutions.