Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Thank you Brian. I am glad that you have taught me how to handle vintage lenses. Oh my gosh! Mr Tim! Actually, I asked him a few months ago. It was an introduction from an American friend. He was very kind, but at the time I didn't understand the structure of Ektar, so I couldn't get good instructions from him. Also, unfortunately, he was told that it could not be shipped overseas. But I will try to negotiate with him again. Thank you for all the tips you've provided so far!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: I would be happy to know the filter aperture diameter of the Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Here's what you need for a basic B&W set-up:

A Series VI adapter. Per your measurement and according to the earlier threads it is a 1-1/2 inch 38mm slip on (1-1/2 38 SO) adapter that you need. Some hand-fitting might be required. Kodak instructions were to carefully adjust the fingers on the adapter to each specific lens. Plus/minus .5mm was specified but more than that is possible if done carefully:
    https://www.filterfind.net/series_6_A.html

A set of B&W contrast filters. Any choices from the yellow, orange, red, and green listings. I have a "thing" for the Kodak filters but have Tiffens that are newer and just as good.:
    https://www.filterfind.net/Series_6.html

A lens shade (scroll down past the adapters). I prefer the deeper shades than the shallower shades, like those identified as A, F or G... but have at least one shallow in case vignetting ever seems likely. And while you're there, look at the "Kodak collectible bakelite plastic filter storage" section and consider how you want to store your filters. There are several vintage options available to consider. I find these options easier for smaller size filters than filter wallets, which I like for 49mm and above glass filters.
    https://www.filterfind.net/series_6_A.html

... and order per Tim's ordering procedure, but don't hesitate to ask him for opinion on other options. He has a lot of stock and knows his business well. I see that he does offer international shipping and I'm sure he is correct that it is rather expensive... so buy consider buying everything you might possibly need/want in a one-stop-shopping convenience situation. While buying pieces and parts from various ebay seller is quite possible, this is a much more convenient way.
    https://www.filterfind.net/Ordering.html

Good luck and enjoy the camera/lens!

I am lucky to have many tips. I will read these ideas carefully. Brian, I appreciate your efforts!

I can't really add to what others have said but this thread is making me hungry for Nagoya-style eel - the best!!!

I have this lens in Flash Supermatic shutter and it's one of my favorites. I don't do much with filters though.

My wife is from Nagoya and we have friends there so if there's some small thing like an adapter ring that they won''t ship to Japan you could have it sent to me and we could forward it to you or one of our friends for you to pick up.

Hi Jim, It’s a small world,,, I am happy to share local food stories in this prestigious LF space. Also, I feel sorry for writing such a topic. Thank you! Thank you for your kindness. I am happy to be connected to everyone in the world through LF!!

I read your kind advice carefully. However, getting the best out of Kodak's filter system was a challenge in my area. I took a careful look inside the LF thread and found that a 36mm filter could barely fit on this lens. I ended up buying a 36-46mm plastic adapter on eBay. It was firmly and securely attached to the thread! It felt like it would work fine with a 46mm filter, but I use a larger 46-52mm adapter with this lens. Anyway, thank you very much to all of you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	241008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2220.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	241009

C&C,

You solution looks great! Now you can use all the diversity in 52mm filters. Have fun, this is a great lens.

Doremus

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Nice solution!

Thank you Doremus, I wanted to adopt the orthodox method but was frustrated. But I seem to have taken the opportunity to get to know the vintage lenses of the past in depth. This lens gives me more than double the enjoyment for less than half the price of the Dagor!

Hi Brian, At first I was a little disappointed to learn that the adapter is made of resin, but then I realized again that it can be used without damaging the Ektar threads. In any case, these adapters may be expected to have the effect of lens shading. Anyway, thanks for the advice.