Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable release not fitting into socket on shutter

Cable release not fitting into socket on shutter

I have a 150 mm Symmar-S f 5.6 mounted on a shutter that’s only brand labelling is ‘Lens made in Germany’ and the numbers 051-30.
    I am unable to confidently fit the cable release to the shutter. Its travel into the socket is very small and the cable easily falls out. I have tried a number of different cables - all have the same problem.
    I assume there is damage to the thread within the socket. Is there any solution to this?
    Thanks

Re: Cable release not fitting into socket on shutter

Can you try to rethread it? I don;t know what threader you need though.

I'm pretty sure cable release sockets are "fluted" so it would be difficult to rethread with a conventional tap. If you can find a part just replacing the shutter socket is not usually that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    I have a 150 mm Symmar-S f 5.6 mounted on a shutter that’s only brand labelling is ‘Lens made in Germany’ and the numbers 051-30.
    It could be an AGFA shutter -- does it have the tiny "AG" icon on it? -- but all the ones I've seen use a "normal" cable release thread.

I found the Taper Tap long ago

it is somewhere here

not looking for it
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

The socket threads eventually strip. With most shutters they are removable and replaceable. If it's a Symmar S which was sold in the US, it's most likely a Copal shutter, with the socket attachment held by two tiny screws. But the quality control of release cables varies widely, and some don't fit anything well, and tend to prematurely wear out the shutter socket threads.

expedables
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The socket threads eventually strip. With most shutters they are removable and replaceable. If it's a Symmar S which was sold in the US, it's most likely a Copal shutter, with the socket attachment held by two tiny screws. But the quality control of release cables varies widely, and some don't fit anything well, and tend to prematurely wear out the shutter socket threads.
    I keep a cable on each of my four lenses ready to shoot. It saves time having to screw it in and out. I suppose that should help also with not stripping the threading.

This has happened to me twice. Each time I found a tiny broken off cable release tip still in the socket. A little screw driver was used to back the piece out and all was good.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I'm with Alan K...in that I keep good quality (Pentax 20" cloth covered) cable releases on my four most-used LF lenses. Helps to prevent wear on those sockets, and also compensates for the age-related wear on my brain...which leads to things like forgetting my cable releases!

And yes...quality control of cable releases is all over the map! They either don't fit properly and/or they seem to spring apart at the most inconvenient times. I'd gotten a recommendation a few years back to look into the Pentax cloth releases (I prefer the cloth releases for their suppleness)...and I'm glad I did!