Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airports and Film: the good and the bad

Airports and Film: the good and the bad

Hello, after traveling recently I thought it would be nice to have a running log as to which airports anyone has had problems with regarding traveling with film, or which airports had no problems. Not sure if this list exists elsewhere but thought I’d put it here.

For me recently:

Orlando International (MCO) - no problems whatsoever, they knew exactly what to do when asking for a hand check instead of going through the x-ray.

Bradley International (BDL) - no problems whatsoever, same as above, plus the TSA agent really liked the “Do Not X-Ray” stickers I downloaded from Kodak’s website.
    “With great film size comes great responsibility”
    www.formlevelphoto.com

Re: Airports and Film: the good and the bad

No problem getting hand inspections of 'naked' 120 rolls in a clear plastic bag at:

Dublin Airport (Ireland)...international flight
    SFO - San Fransisco...domestic flight

Also requested hand inspection getting on ferry from Holyhead, Wales, to Dublin...and it was literally just quickly handing the bag around the security area to me.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Friends of mine brought film from Orlando to Belgium with no problems, they had some stickers from Alex Burke (https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/...d-check-labels) on the 4x5 boxes.
    On the other hand Belgium -> Tenerife and back my film went through the scanners ….

If you are traveling with X-Ray film does it make a difference at the airports where they are more insistent on scanning it?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

X-Ray film is the same, in practical terms, as any other film. With the new scanners, any scanning (checked baggage or carry-on) will fog any film.

Since I was traveling to the UK, I bought my FP-4 there, and was given a couple rolls each of Delta 100 and Acros while I was in Scotland. But with the ease of traveling with the film, I could have brought the ten rolls I had here in the USA. However, my flight leaving town to San Francisco was seriously late, so it was one less thing to worry about when going security again for my international flight at SFO.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I would say your experiences will always vary.

I've flown out of Atlanta many times, with TSA agents always helpful and willing to do a hand inspection, which only took a few minutes. A recent trip though was much less amiable. This time, I was pulled aside and given the third degree about my camera bag, which included a Diana, Hasselblad, and Widelux cameras. They were very upset I had not taken 'all electronics' out of the bag. Worse, the agent insisted on swabbing every last roll of film I had in a clear plastic bag, which is what I always bring. Usually they have swabbed one or two but this time, every one. I had like 25 loose rolls. So that took about 20 minutes total, but I was plenty early so no problem. Nevertheless this makes me reconsider my procedures and expectations.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It might be handy to host this info in a google sheet or something to save users scrolling if it gets to big!

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Many times thru SeaTac with no problem ever. They will always swab each roll/box, but no problem ever.

Bangalore, India has invariably been a problem, both entering and departing. Everything scanned, no exceptions. I'm not certain whether the scanners are the "new ones", but likely so.

Transiting thru Narita, Japan was not a problem last time. They honored request to hand check.

Recent transits thru Heathrow and Frankfurt have been challenging. I believe my film was sent thru the scanners in each airport.

Good idea to track this, but it is always a risk no matter prior experiences.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

We flew from LAX to Amsterdam last month and flew back from Paris airport. I packed some 45 film in boxes with a clear zipper bag.

No problem with hand check at LAX.
    Everything had to go through the x-ray machine at Paris airport. No hand check unless they could open my film boxes to see what was inside.

The "new" scanners are round drums that look something like medium sized cement mixers. It has moving sensor/xray source that cat scans the conveyor contents. This makes a lot more xray that ruins our film since it needs to build a 3d image.

The "old" scanners are the normal rectangular pizza oven style where the conveyor contents go into a box for a xray snapshot .