Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saunders 11x14 4 bladed easel that moves

Re: Saunders 11x14 4 bladed easel that moves

cut up a yoga mat, those things have awesome sticktion
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I actually had the opposite problem. The rubber feet I initially put on my very heavy 20x24 Saunders easel made it impossible to move, so I replaced them with felt feet.

I also had perfect one, woman used

Sold it to a member here

hate those blades

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I actually had the opposite problem. The rubber feet I initially put on my very heavy 20x24 Saunders easel made it impossible to move, so I replaced them with felt feet.
    Tin Can

I've been using the same easel in my home darkroom for 30+ years, and I bought it used. It slips occasionally; but a light and delicate touch (unusual for me) when operating it helps a lot. Using it is not like banging open the screen door to the back porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've been using the same easel in my home darkroom for 30+ years, and I bought it used. It slips occasionally; but a light and delicate touch (unusual for me) when operating it helps a lot. Using it is not like banging open the screen door to the back porch.
    Similar experience, 40 years, no problems, borders stay aligned. Agree about the delicate touch, takes a little practice.

M.A. Wikstrom

Mine has strips of cork along the bottom and it moved once - the second time is when I learned to hold the base down with one hand when opening it with the other.

The biggest issue that came up with brand new Saunders 11X14 easels (one community darkroom I worked at bought 20 new ones) was the paper holding slot was too small for proper holding of printing paper... Thin RC would barely fit into it, but wavy DWFB was impossible to fit... This would of course make the easel slide around while struggling to load paper... These needed to be returned to the maker, and many did not align mask to paper properly...

Also, check easel time to time with a square to see if still aligned, and don't count on the mask measuring scales too much without checking them first...

Steve K

Thank you all for the information and suggestions.

I have been printing in the darkroom since 1977. Its is only recently that i have been having an issue with the easel moving.
    The reason for the movement is I have developed a tremor in my right hand and I happen to be right handed. I am trying to use my left hand as much as possible when inserting the paper in the easel but sometimes I am not too successful, hench the movement.

I found a spare piece of material that one would put under a small throw rug to keep it from moving and I am now using that to keep the easel stationary.

To the point of the easel not being square, I always do a check before printing and as was noted above, I do not rely on the numbers on the scale for the blades.

Thanks Again

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

adjustable peg holes in your baseboard and shelf pegs that hold the easel in place. If you drill a series of holes 1/4 in apart left and right and up and down you can usually place your easel where it needs to be. I have 3 holes and the middle ones are what I use most of the time to align my easel. If it moves I merely push it back to the pegs. Lines on the baseboard also help keep it square though the negative might not be perfectly square in the holder.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography