Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ULF > Macro options?

Re: ULF > Macro options?

Quote Originally Posted by cpjfox View Post
    How close to the lens can I place the subject and still achieve focus? Or a different question that’ll give me the answer I’m looking for, what is the maximum magnification with those lenses?

While I have your attention also do you know the image circles?
    With any lens, the maximum magnification is infinity - that's when the subject to the lens distance is equal to the lens focal length. It is the minimum magnification that is dependent on the lens coverage compared to the film format used.

And the image perspective is dependent on the lens to the subject distance which in turn is dependent on the lens focal length.

The f/9 CZJ Apo-Tessars cover 57°; that means the linear coverage at infinity to be slightly more than the lens focal length (so the 300mm Apo-Tessar just covers 8x10" without movements). The 1200mm Apo-Tessar is slower than f/9 so its diameter is less, and the barrel makes more vignetting so the 1200's angle is less than its shorter focal length cousins'.

The 6-element 1200mm f/15 LOMO PM-1 covers 53° (120cm / 47.5") at infinity.
    The Rodenstock Apo-Rionar-CL 1200mm f/16 covers 126cm / 49.5" at infinity.

That means that with the PM-1 lens, you are able to take any pictures from about 1/3 life-size with about 16 feet between the lens and the subject to any greater magnification with closer distances on 40x50".

P.S.: PM sent.

Thankyou for the pm, the system will not allow a reply (mailbox quota).

So let’s pretend I’m an idiot with much to learn, focusing much closer than infinity, does the coverage increase or decrease.

If I use them At 1:1 I can expect the typical 2 x focal length bellows draw cant I.

I may end up resizing my expectations, but, as the saying goes, shoot for the moon, it’s small and you’ll probably miss and float for an eternity in the vastness of space.

focusing much closer than infinity, does the coverage increase or decrease
    It increases.

So your main concern would probably be to get a lens long enough (1) to be able to put the subject far enough to get nice perspective that does not deform face features and (2) to be usable for other applications that do not imply the magnifications that large.

PM box emptied.

I just stumbled on this while researching apo-tessars, by a forum member Dr Klaus Schmitt, unfortunately all the focal lenses are too short, but an interesting resource none the less.

http://www.macrolenses.de/

Does anyone have any information regarding the close focus of the big apo-Tessars? 900/9 and 1200/11
    900 and 1200 mm respectively when the film plane is infinitely far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    900 and 1200 mm respectively when the film plane is infinitely far away.
    Which I’m guessing is only going to give me 1:1?

My darkroom needs to be larger if I’m going to need to stretch out to infinity. I only have 4.5m (14ft) to play with.

Which I’m guessing is only going to give me 1:1?

My darkroom needs to be larger if I’m going to need to stretch out to infinity. I only have 4.5m (14ft) to play with.
    No, at 1:1 the film plane-to-subject distance is 4 focal lengths. And at 1:1, the front node-to-subject distance and rear node-to-film plane distance are 2 focal lengths. For many, not all, lenses the nodes are close to the lens' diaphragm.

Please stop seeking enlightenment via question and answer sessions on a bulletin board. Buy a good book on closeup photography, read it, and then ask for help with whatever you still don't understand. The likely book is

Lefkowitz, Lester. 1979. The Manual of Close-Up Photography. Amphoto. Garden
    City, NY. 272 pp. ISBN 0-8174-2456-3 (hardbound) and 0-8174-2130-0 (softbound). A
    thorough discussion of getting the magnification, lighting, and exposure. Especially good
    on working above 1:1. Extensive bibliography.

Available used at relatively low prices from used booksellers on the 'net, such as abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, ...

I bought that book on Dan's advice years ago

I suggest you first try it on tiny format 8X10

I have an old copy camera, no movements, very heavy, many here told me throw it away

I adapted 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10 Calumet backs

to try things on a smaller scale

I use a very sharp 120mm LF lens

Books are good, we need to SEE it to Grok

Here is that custom back showing the GG and recording it on iPad5

webLevy 8X10 Macro 2-1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Overview

1Levy Process Camera by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Tin Can

If you work out how much magnification you want, and what the distance will be from the lens to your plate, the math to determine the needed focal length is a simple algebraic equation.
    Average human head is around 9" from chin to top of head, how big do you want that on your 40x50 plate?
    What will the distance be from your lens to your plate?

Hi All,

Long time listener first time poster (I think).

I’m looking at building a static camera in my dark room for 40x50” tintype. Searches have yielded me several options for that kind of coverage, but I want to go bigger than macro, 2:1 or more. Head shots are my thing and I want to go big.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com