Thread: 510 Pyro and n-1 Development Ilford D-100

510 Pyro and n-1 Development Ilford D-100

I recently gave 510 Pyro developer a try with Ilford H5+ and D-100. While I still want to evaluate further, my initial impression is positive. There was an exception. On one sheet of D-100 I rated at ISO 50 and reduced development time by 20%. It was a high contrast scene with some backlighting on some trees, early morning. I was hoping to reduce overall contrast. The result was an awful failure. Maybe my approach to an N-1 development was off or 510 Pyro was not best choice for the film and development method. Then again, maybe the scene simply had too much contrast. Anyway, would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on 510 Pyro and or the process I described.

Thanks in advance

Re: 510 Pyro and n-1 Development Ilford D-100

It's really hard to evaluate any possible problem with the information you give. If the scene were so contrasty as to need N-2 or even N-3, then an N-1 development would still result in a pretty contrasty negative.

You don't tell us how you metered (average, incident, spot, placing a shadow value or a midtone, etc.), so we can't help there. "Awful failure" is rather vague too. What, more precisely, is the problem with the negative?

Furthermore, unless you've tested your development schemes and come up with reliable times for N, N-* and N+*, you're shooting in the dark. A 20% reduction in development isn't carved into stone anywhere. Nor is a reduction in effective film speed by a stop for high-contrast scenes (could be right if you're average-metering. If not, it will likely just result in overexposure).

And, have you tried printing the negative in question? Maybe it will print better than you imagine.

We are all eager to help

Doremus

Re: 510 Pyro and n-1 Development Ilford D-100

Thanks Doremus. I still have the negative. Will scan it but not optimistic. I did spot meter for the shadows (zone 4). I think the contrast level was still too high. I'll take a pic of the negative on a light table and post. Will follow up.