Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica Reprovit Copy Stand w modern camera?

Leica Reprovit Copy Stand w modern camera?

Curious if anyone has used one of these copy stands to do copy work with a modern digital camera, like a sony?

They are made for Leica screwmount cameras, I have a LTM to Sony E adapter, but I'm not sure if this would actually work?

actually correct that, M mount

Re: Leica Reprovit Copy Stand w modern camera?

I use a Leitz Valloy that is both an enlarger AND copy stand

The Head comes off, I attach iPad6 with SmallRig grip using the captive 1/4-20 camera screw

The grid is very useful for perfect alignment

The iPad6 has flash or not

Takes really good copies

Tiny to 16X20

Copy Stand by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Totally works... the 50mm f/4.5 Focotar is an exceptional optic for copy work. Replacing the four old "flood lamps" with LEDs is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Totally works... the 50mm f/4.5 Focotar is an exceptional optic for copy work. Replacing the four old "flood lamps" with LEDs is a no brainer.
    Thanks Greg
    Just looking at pictures, I'm not sure my Sony A7R camera would mount to the rig above that lens, because of the way the camera hand grip sticks out. I don't doubt that lens is good...

what camera did you use?

Not specific to your equipment, I mounted Nikon bellows and slide duplicator by using a short extension tube to allow clearance for the built in camera grip.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Are you using just the stand or also using the sliding camera stage??? What size copy areas do you need??? Just camera + stand is easy, mount with macro lens and align by lowering lens + camera to baseboard and look for tilt where front of lens and board meet... Note that without proper universal camera holder, camera may be not centered (or offset), or if stops are built in for the specific camera slide to stand mount...

With sliding camera stage, larger than M mount cameras may not fit stage as camera has to be rotated to remove it from mount, and device might interfere with rotation clearance... Are you planning to focus camera with the stage viewers or light projector, or camera??? Note that some camera mount adapters have some built-in FFD errors where the viewer might have a very slight error that will show up especially using higher magnification/smaller copy areas (like film duping etc)...

I have many of these separate stand components that I got on a macro photography binge a decade ago to cobble different set-ups together and remember there is a little cross-compatibility for "erector set" configurations, but some components are strictly designed to work exclusively with their system design...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Are you using just the stand or also using the sliding camera stage??? What size copy areas do you need??? Just camera + stand is easy, mount with macro lens and align by lowering lens + camera to baseboard and look for tilt where front of lens and board meet... Note that without proper universal camera holder, camera may be not centered (or offset), or if stops are built in for the specific camera slide to stand mount...

With sliding camera stage, larger than M mount cameras may not fit stage as camera has to be rotated to remove it from mount, and device might interfere with rotation clearance... Are you planning to focus camera with the stage viewers or light projector, or camera??? Note that some camera mount adapters have some built-in FFD errors where the viewer might have a very slight error that will show up especially using higher magnification/smaller copy areas (like film duping etc)...

I have many of these separate stand components that I got on a macro photography binge a decade ago to cobble different set-ups together and remember there is a little cross-compatibility for "erector set" configurations, but some components are strictly designed to work exclusively with their system design...

Steve K
    Thanks Steve - sliding camera stage....16 x 20 but maybe a few newspaper size...altho I don't think the camera can extend laterally far enough to do that. That's good info to know, I think you are right – that sony e mount with adapter would not be able to rotate due to the camera body grip sticking out.

I bagged the idea (a friend had a reprovit in storage that offered to loan) and ended up getting a pentax copy stand on Ebay. The reprovit does look like an interesting rig though, and I imagine if one could get a camera attached to it and use that focusing set up with the beamed lines it might be great in use....

I worked in a lab at the beginning of my career, and used a Reprovit II to make copy slides from art work. That was c.1978; it was a well-made machine and my introduction to the Leica M. Its great advantage was the rack-over mechanism to compose and focus... at this late date I can't imagine quite how that setup would work with another camera. Just a matter of physical design. Sounds like you've found a more effective answer, though.

On a very similar note, I have seen the following done for forensic photography: A FX (educated guess on its size) sensor (not a DSLR or mirrorless camera) was adapted to a Leitz Leica Focomat V35 enlarger. The sensor was a full spectrum sensor and filters were used under the lens for capturing different wavelengths of light. Lighting looked to be a bit complicated. Live view on a large monitor was used for viewing (and I have to assume for critical focusing), and image capture used to save the digital image file. Unfortunately I was just passing through so didn't have time to examine the system.

OP

Sorry for my confustion

I know your device

You did not specify your copy medium
    Tin Can