It had burned completely at least once

And refitted

In heavy rain late at night

A car stopped and yelled the roof is on fire

I caught an eel in the small crick

Not far from the dry canal
    Tin Can

Re: De Smidt Dedustinator 15

Yeah, if the plaster is mainly sound, save it!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Nobody knows the age of my home

Good high ground, large lot, huge trees

Giant Magnolia

Never had one

I always buy an old home

They speak

Once we rented a very spooky big stone home

One stone “1789” coach house on a river

It had burned completely at least once

And refitted

In heavy rain late at night

A car stopped and yelled the roof is on fire

I caught an eel in the small crick

Not far from the dry canal
    This reminds me of a Gary Snyder poem. The slightly less known beat poet that always seem to incorporate nature in his writings.

Drew Wiley

Hi again, Michael. Speaking of dirty air, I hope you're coping with the smoke issues in Canada at the moment. We've sure gone through our own episodes of it here, which could start up again. Extreme filter and water units are simply a matter of ordering them, and being willing to pay the extra price. The kind of hazmat standards I had to supply equip for involved fully sealed certified Hepa systems. Simply putting a Hepa filter into a vac or room air cleaner is not the same things, because particulates have ways of getting around the filter itself. But the same companies offer optional filtration systems which pick up particulates 100 times finer than Hepa standards. So next time you plan to make a true plutonium or radium print instead of using ordinary uranyl nitrate toner, you might want to look into one of those. It would be a shame if all your hand-coated papers got fogged due to yourself glowing in the dark.

Fab - My darkroom complex is in a whole other building off-limits to our cats. But I have to be awfully careful they don't sneak in, and that I shake out my clothes well and give em a good blast from the air compressor. For anything really fussy I have a separate film room with its own enlargers, and swab the whole place down before anything really critical. I have a true cleanroom smock (100% long-fiber lintless dacron), an industrial quality air filter, and triple-filtered compressed air lines incoming. Sometimes white concrete efflorescence rises up through the slab despite it being epoxy sealed. I can take one of my Festool vacs in their and capture it completely. But that kind of very fine powder any kind will go straight through any kind of ordinary shop vac, even with an alleged Hepa filter installed, senign it all through the air creating an even worse mess.

In this area renovators have to deal with all kinds of nasties in old plaster ceiling - sometimes asbestos, often old primer containing mercury, and old lead paint often. Our company partnered with the EPA in legal instructional licensing as well as mandatory equipment needs, and we got around 2200 contractors legally licensed to handle these scenarios. But in the process they learned that working clean is also far more efficient and cost-effective than trying to clean up the messes afterwards; and their new equipment investment paid off almost immediately. Lead, cadmium, and mercury poisoning in the trades (or in the arts) is awfully unpleasant to witness; and it often transferred to their families on their clothing, or through the windows due to an illegal careless sanding operation next door.

I cannot lie - I don't mind the smokey smell. Actually I also kind of like the smokey smog haze too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hi again, Michael. Speaking of dirty air, I hope you're coping with the smoke issues in Canada at the moment. We've sure gone through our own episodes of it here, which could start up again. Extreme filter and water units are simply a matter of ordering them, and being willing to pay the extra price. The kind of hazmat standards I had to supply equip for involved fully sealed certified Hepa systems. Simply putting a Hepa filter into a vac or room air cleaner is not the same things, because particulates have ways of getting around the filter itself. But the same companies offer optional filtration systems which pick up particulates 100 times finer than Hepa standards. So next time you plan to make a true plutonium or radium print instead of using ordinary uranyl nitrate toner, you might want to look into one of those. It would be a shame if all your hand-coated papers got fogged due to yourself glowing in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Fab - My darkroom complex is in a whole other building off-limits to our cats. But I have to be awfully careful they don't sneak in, and that I shake out my clothes well and give em a good blast from the air compressor. For anything really fussy I have a separate film room with its own enlargers, and swab the whole place down before anything really critical. I have a true cleanroom smock (100% long-fiber lintless dacron), an industrial quality air filter, and triple-filtered compressed air lines incoming. Sometimes white concrete efflorescence rises up through the slab despite it being epoxy sealed. I can take one of my Festool vacs in their and capture it completely. But that kind of very fine powder any kind will go straight through any kind of ordinary shop vac, even with an alleged Hepa filter installed, senign it all through the air creating an even worse mess.
    Yes, I am aware of all of those things. You have shared them with us before. You do not need to repeat yourself for my benefit. My memory is largely intact. The thing which surprises me is, even with all that specialized equipment and detailed procedures, you still have to spot your prints. Puzzling.
    Last edited by faberryman; 8-Jun-2023 at 15:39.

thanks Peter Looks great I will invesigate this for my shop

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I heard the clean room in your complex is the only true vacuum in the known universe, where even virtual particles are forbidden.
    Oh no Michael... Drew takes advantage of Wormholes and Black holes to get a purity us mere mortals would never know.

Glad to help, Bob. It's been working well for me.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Fab - the fllm room isn't the only place to worry about. What about inevitable changing of roll film in the field? What about setting up a shot on a seemingly remote 4WD track, and then some jerk suddenly roars by stirring up dust. What about the past three weeks here, where every single day has been howling wind right at the peak of pollen season? Maybe all that smoke coming down from the north will reach you too - Have a dust collector big enough for half of North America?

Who knows? Maybe all the smoke is actually coming for Bob fuming glass plates, or allowing his gum arabic kettle to catch fire while he's crawling around on the floor looking for an escaped newt or toad necessary for an old witch's formula.