Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: De Smidt Dedustinator 15

Re: De Smidt Dedustinator 15

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade. But I've sold thousands (probably well over 30,000 in my career) of true CERTIFIED quiet Euro Hepa air systems for all kind of applications (museum shops, hazmat, military, nearly dustless cabinet shops). What you show, Peter & Les, ain't bad except for being somewhat Paleolithic. I even sold near-dustless drywall sanding equipment - mandatory for remodeling in rest homes etc, but otherwise vastly more efficient than the traditional way. I've used all this kind of gear myself, have it in my own shop. The vac units I can take into the darkroom without a worry. I wouldn't dream of doing that with an ordinary woodshop dust collector. We had a truly big one of those in the company mill. The output bin below the hopper was popular with cats, but the cats sure weren't popular with the foreman.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 7-Jun-2023 at 17:21.

These units would probably do great for improving indoor air quality as Smoke continues to plague American summers especially out West, but now out East too.

Drew Wiley

Household air circulating HEPA canisters are sold all over the place. During our horrible fires a few years ago, many stores had stack of them in the hundred dollar apiece category. I use far better air cleaners in the film room portion of my darkroom complex. But those canister-style ones are a lot better than nothing. Even a little desktop air cleaner will remove a lot of dust in a small room.

Yep. There's nothing fancy about this. It's just a high quality (and big) filter and a decent fan. I'd be surprised if any commercial unit at it's price point would be as effective. That's especially true if you use a free furnace blower to power the system. I have one, and I'll give it a try, but I'm a bit busy at the moment. I found out today that my kitchen has 4 ceilings, one on top of the other. I wonder what surprises tomorrow will bring.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

There is an interesting DIY air filter called a Corsi-Rosenthal Box that was designed during the height of the Covid pandemic but would also be useful for this moment of wildfire smoke, and general indoor air filtering. Not a professional device, it's made out of a box fan and four air filters the same size as the box fan (and cardboard, tape, etc). I haven't made one, but a friend has and says it can be pretty effective.

https://engineering.ucdavis.edu/news...-rosenthal-box

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsi%...3Rosenthal_Box

I heard the clean room in your complex is the only true vacuum in the known universe, where even virtual particles are forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sorry to rain on anyone's parade. But I've sold thousands (probably well over 30,000 in my career) of true CERTIFIED quiet Euro Hepa air systems for all kind of applications (museum shops, hazmat, military, nearly dustless cabinet shops). What you show, Peter & Les, ain't bad except for being somewhat Paleolithic. I even sold near-dustless drywall sanding equipment - mandatory for remodeling in rest homes etc, but otherwise vastly more efficient than the traditional way. I've used all this kind of gear myself, have it in my own shop. The vac units I can take into the darkroom without a worry. I wouldn't dream of doing that with an ordinary woodshop dust collector. We had a truly big one of those in the company mill. The output bin below the hopper was popular with cats, but the cats sure weren't popular with the foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have several HEPA filters strategically located around the house in places where we breath. They are certified, but not CERTIFIED, so while they collect fine particulate matter, they do not stop radioactive particles. They are quiet too, unless you put the fan on high. We just got the basic model, you know, the one without the fragrance sponge. I am not really into aromatherapy. I don't have a HEPA filter in my darkroom complex. I don't have a dust problem there. Oh sure, there may be some theoretical dust, but not any you can actually see. My motto is: If you can't see it, you can't spot it. And don't get me started on cats. From what I have seen, half of the photos taken by Leica photographers are of their cats. I am not even sure you are permitted to have a dog if you are a Leica photographer. That probably is why Elliott Erwitt had to go around taking photographs of other people's dogs. William Wegman shot 20x24 Polaroid so he could take photographs of his own dogs.

Regular furnace filters aren't sealed at the edges....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I found out today that my kitchen has 4 ceilings, one on top of the other. I wonder what surprises tomorrow will bring.
    Ah the adventure of old houses. When some ceiling tiles began to sag upstairs this past winter I learned that they had been placed over a plaster ceiling. I always assumed that the tiles were used to save money when the second story was added in 1920. Now I am considering removing all of the them an repairing the plaster.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis