Thread: Toyo view 45 AX: inserting film holders

Toyo view 45 AX: inserting film holders

I recently acquired a Toyo 45AX field camera. My first sheets of film, though, are light-struck. I went into my darkroom and tested the bellows with a flashlight and found no leaks. I then inserted a film holder and stuck a flashlight into the bellows. I saw a small point of light around one corner of the holder. I was a longtime wooden Wista DX user (until it was stolen in April) and never had a problem with light leaks. I’m still getting used to the Toyo and am wondering if I’m improperly inserting the holders (a mix of Riteway and Fidelity). With the Wista I knew when the holder was properly seated because I wouldn’t be able to remove it without lifting the back. With the Toyo, even when I insert the holder all the way, I can still remove it without lifting the back. Is that normal with this camera? At this point, I feel that it must be operator error on my part. With the Toyo, I lift the back and then slide the holder in until it stops. That means it’s properly seated, right?

Re: Toyo view 45 AX: inserting film holders

Normal modus operandi with my Toyo 45AII:

Lift the back using the bail handle
    Insert the film holder
    Lover the bail handle
    Expose
    Remove the film holder
    Lover the bail handle

You should not be able to remove the holder without lifting the back.

According to your description the holder are seated correctly.

You get false light if you do not lover the bail handle
    Last edited by Per Madsen; 6-Jun-2023 at 05:33. Reason: More information

Quote Originally Posted by Per Madsen View Post
    Normal modus operandi with my Toyo 45AII:

Insert the film holder
    Lover the bail handle
    Expose
    Remove the film holder
    Lover the bail handle

You should not be able to remove the holder without lifting the back.

According to your description the holder are seated correctly.

You get false light if you do not lover the bail handle
    Thanks, Per. My cheaper AX model doesn’t have the bail handle. I have to lift the back in order to insert a film holder. I was playing around with it just now, and I noticed that I can push the film holder all the way through. There doesn’t seem to be a prominent lip that stops the holder at the right spot. I can feel the holder stop at the right position, but, at least with my camera, it’s not pronounced. With my dear departed Wista, I didn’t have to think about it. And with the Toyo, I can definitely remove the holder without lifting the back.
    As I said, I hope it’s just me getting used to a new (to me) camera. I had my rosewood Wista for nearly 40 years. Forty years worth of muscle memory. This Toyo is very nice. Smooth focusing, and it feels more robust than the Wista. I just hope I can master the film holder insertion.

This neg doesn't look light-struck, but, on the right side, there is a narrow non-image border and then the image starts. It's like the film holder wasn't in far enough? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	239384

So far, that's been on all the negs I've shot with the Toyo 45 AX.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I suggest that you remove the groundglass assembly and place a filmholder on to the back to see how and where it fits.
    When the camera is in the horizontal position you should have a light baffle on the left that stops the film holder. And there is a protrusion on the filmholder itself that drops into a slot on the right.

You know that of course but it may pay you to check it out. If there is no light baffle on the left side and the camera was purchased used it may have been removed for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I suggest that you remove the groundglass assembly and place a filmholder on to the back to see how and where it fits.
    When the camera is in the horizontal position you should have a light baffle on the left that stops the film holder. And there is a protrusion on the filmholder itself that drops into a slot on the right.

You know that of course but it may pay you to check it out. If there is no light baffle on the left side and the camera was purchased used it may have been removed for some reason.

Excellent suggestion. I will do that.

Ben,

I get the fogging artifact you are getting when I accidentally pull the back away from the camera body when pulling or inserting the dark slide. If you are not doing that, but still getting a similar defect, then the holder is likely not seating correctly when inserted. rfesk's suggestion is good. Check that the ridge on the top of the filmholder lines up with the slot in the camera back. If not, there may be something preventing the holder from being inserted fully, so check how the bottom of the holder sits against the surfaces there.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Check and make sure that the holder is firmly inserted all the way - I have a hazy recollection of not having fully inserted the holder when I first got my AX. Keep a thumb on the edge of the holder when pulling the dark slide to ensure that the holder does not shift in the direction of the pull.

Thanks, all. I’ll get to the bottom of it.

Following rfesk’s advice, I removed the ground glass assembly to get a clear view of where the holder should rest. It looks to me as if there is no baffle or lip on the camera back to stop the holder at the bottom, but I noticed that the holder has a protruding edge near the top that catches an edge on the camera back (probably not describing this very well) that kind of locks it into the right place. Anyway, I think I have a proper feel now for when the holder is correctly inserted. Thanks for all the helpful advice.