Thread: Toyo 45G and similar

Toyo 45G and similar

Hi there,

I am looking for LF camera for studio work and occasional landscape. The UK LF market is pretty scarce, so I have resorted to ebay and am thinking of getting Toyo 45G, but am wondering if I have overlooked better options by Horseman, Linhof, Sinar etc. I would really appreciate any advice on other makers/ models to check out and also on Toyo 45G pitfalls (if any). Thank you in advance.

Re: Toyo 45G and similar

The Toyo system of cameras and accessories is extensive. Toyo was often the choice of universities and photography schools, so there is a large selection of it on the used market now. The 4X5 G and GII are excellent cameras. Toyo 4X5s are very suitable for roll film use, as the backs open very wide and the Toyo roll film holders are robust and reliable. Toyo bellows are the system's weak point. Any camera you buy with original bellows will surely have pinholes, so plan on fitting a new bellows. The late production Toyo bag bellows are very good but stay away from the early versions. Toyo compendiums and viewing aids are plentiful and a fraction of the cost for other systems. Good Luck!

I second what Neal stated above, especially the part about pinholes in original bellows.
    I have had Custom Bellows in the UK make replacement bellows for two Toyo/Omega 45D's, and they do top-notch work...they are a great resource.
    A bonus for you is that they are "local" to you in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    The Toyo system of cameras and accessories is extensive. Toyo was often the choice of universities and photography schools, so there is a large selection of it on the used market now. The 4X5 G and GII are excellent cameras. Toyo 4X5s are very suitable for roll film use, as the backs open very wide and the Toyo roll film holders are robust and reliable. Toyo bellows are the system's weak point. Any camera you buy with original bellows will surely have pinholes, so plan on fitting a new bellows. The late production Toyo bag bellows are very good but stay away from the early versions. Toyo compendiums and viewing aids are plentiful and a fraction of the cost for other systems. Good Luck!
    Thank you very much, Neil. That's very reassuring. I will pay attention to the bellows when buying.

Thank you, Dugan. I have just had a look at Custom Bellows site and was wondering if you know of any sites selling LF's in the UK. I have googled and checked the main ones, like MPB etc., but haven't had any luck with their stock and was wondering if there are smaller shops, like Custom Bellows, that google doesn't pick.