Thread: schneider-kreuznach 90mm lens copal 0 shutter

schneider-kreuznach 90mm lens copal 0 shutter

hello

i have a calumet 4x5 view camera and just bought a 90mm super angulon lens 5.6 - it will focus up close but i cant' get it to focus at infinity - need help - i have racked it all the way

thanks
    chuck

Re: schneider-kreuznach 90mm lens copal 0 shutter

Quote Originally Posted by CW9001 View Post
    hello

i have a calumet 4x5 view camera and just bought a 90mm super angulon lens 5.6 - it will focus up close but i cant' get it to focus at infinity - need help - i have racked it all the way

thanks
    chuck
    Chuck,

The problem is getting the lens close enough to the film to focus on infinity. If the rail-to-tripod mount is between the standards, as is usual, it may be keeping them too far apart. Remount it so that both standards are on one side. Be careful to not get the rail in the field of view.

If that doesn't fix your problem, i.e., if the standards won't get close enough even with the rail mount on the outside, then you may need a recessed lensboard.

I'm sure some Calumet camera users will chime in here soon.

Best,

Doremus

I had this exact problem with my Cambo when I first started shooting, and Doremus is correct in how to fix it. The front standard is usually the culprit and needs to be taken of and turned around 180 degrees.

Dan Fromm posted the following link in a separate, earlier thread about this: https://static.cambo.com/Files/SC2_Manual.pdf

Good luck!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Doremus is very correct about the tripod mounting block. It is also useful, althouugh some disagree, to mount the 90 on a recessed lensboard. A bag bellows is useful also.

Long ago I used the old-style (CC400) Calumet cameras on the job. We used a 90/8 Super-Angulon on a slightly recessed board, maybe 1" deep. That worked well; I only mention it because the OP may have one of these cameras, rather than a newer Cambo-compatible machine.

THANKS - i took it off the rail and i could focus on infinity - have purchased a recessed lens board

Be mindful of how you position the parts. If too much rail is in front of the lens then you’ll have rail in the picture. Too much rail behind the ground glass any you’ll poke yourself in the face or chest with the rail as you try to focus/compose. FYI… there was a 10-inch rail made just for short lenses.

so you don't think the weight of the camera in front of the mount is a risk?

Quote Originally Posted by CW9001 View Post
    so you don't think the weight of the camera in front of the mount is a risk?
    No, the rail won’t bend and the mount won’t break. You do need a stout tripod and solid head, though.

i have a bogen 3236 tripod - bulky