Thread: JB Weld Tested

JB Weld Tested

https://youtu.be/LGCJGNkEpy8

I will be using it soon...

Any other solution is way too expensive and may NOT work with welding
    Tin Can

Re: JB Weld Tested

Makiflex 150mm F9 Apo Ronar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I built this custom Makiflex board a while ago, adding a recessed Durst enlarger plate, to slightly recess my 150mm F9 Apo Ronar. This is an absolute gem of lens! I decided to move my lens to a Sinar Norma board, so I have it handy to use on my Sinar Norma copy stand. A couple of years ago another 150mm F9 Apo Ronar came along, for like $30 but with no retaining ring. I searched high and low but no luck, this is a very tiny rather rare ring. So last week I mixed up some JB Weld metal epoxy, and neatly glued the Apo Ronar to the Durst recessed part of the board. Finished with flat black paint and it is ready to use on my Makiflexes. Looks pretty good, eh?

Hoooray for JB Weld
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Guys, Gorilla Glue epoxy is even stronger than J-B Weld. It costs more $$ but IMHO it's worth it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

JB Weld is great stuff. A friend bought a BMW about 20 years ago that was missing a blade on the fan. So he replaced the blade with one he made from cardboard and JB Weld. I saw him yesterday… still driving the car with that crazy fan blade.

This is a repair to the light baffle hinge on my Weston Master light meter that I did about 10 years ago with JB Weld "Kwik Steel". I removed the baffle from the meter and made a "form" with cellophane tape. After the JB Weld cured, I removed the tape and filed and sanded the surface smooth. The repair has withstood the spring pressure on the hinge just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weston Meter.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	239188
    Last edited by r_a_feldman; 29-May-2023 at 13:17. Reason: Clarify type of JB Weld

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

I had an excess pile of Imagon parts not matching. I cobbled this together with JBWeld. Could be a 200mm cell group not really sure. But it is sure sweet on the Makiflexes. Extension tubes China Ebay, a good well made extendable system. This is perfect to use on the Makis.

B&L 159.1mm F2 Super Cinephor 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I need to get out and do some location test images with the B&L Super Cinephor 159mm F2 Cinema Projection Lens. Great fun on the standard Makiflex. Won't fit inside the Makiflex Automatic, the lens is huge and pushing the envelope on this camera. I attached the board to the lens with a copious amount of J&B Weld metal epoxy. Worked great. Hooray for JB Weld, no other way to mount this lens. Touched up the back with black flat Krylon and good to go. BTW this lens weighs north of ten pounds.

― Mark Twain

It's really useful for filling holes in Sinar Norma lensboards. I stick blue masking tape over the hole from the front, then fill with JB Weld from the back. When dry after 24 hours, I use a single edge razor blade to "plane" off the excess JB Weld on the back. Sometimes I need to re-do it, but it works great for me. I've had olde Norma boards with twelve or fifteen small holes, when I'm done, and after painting both sides, you can hardly see where it's been recovered. I don't think I could stand to be without my JB Weld. Not for everybody I guess.

Painting Matched Norma Lens Pairs by Nokton48, on Flickr

If you look carefully, you can see where I have filled in dozens of small holes with JB Weld. This bunch of lenses needs final touch-ups with flat black Krylon applied with a tiny brush. Kinds like doing auto body work on a car. And making something useful from what others might throw away. These are some of my matching lens pairs, for my TLR 4x5 and 5x7 Sinar Norma cameras.

More Norma TLR Matched Lens Pairs by Nokton48, on Flickr

Can you spot which lens boards had holes that I have filled with JB Weld and painted?

― Mark Twain

Eric Woodbury

In aero-space industry, we always used a premixed, frozen version of 2216. Probably the same thing. I think it is the same thing they use to stick the reflective bums to the highway. The keys is a good mixing, clean surfaces, and a warm curing. Also, realize its limitations.

Drew Wiley

Another story. One of my 20-ish jobs was in a store with a huge inventory of exotic bolts, taps, dies, machine tools etc catering to auto dealerships. One day a mechanic arrived with a weird-looking Whitworth bolt which had snapped, with an enormous hex head to it, which he said was the flywheel bolt to an MG sports car. When we told him we didn't have it, he asked where he could get one. We replied, maybe in England. He was panicked because he had a potential buyer coming to see the car in a few days. I handed him some JB Weld, and said it might hold it together for another six months, then forgot all about the incident. Then, just a little over six months later, some young guy showed up with a big broken hex screw with some dried guck where it had broken. I examined it, Hmmm. .. Looks like a flywheel bolt to an MG to me. He stared back, Wow, you really know about cars, don't you? I replied, I sure do. Where can I find one of these?, he asked. I answered back, maybe England. Now what am I going to do?, he asked. I looked at him and replied, I think I have an idea, and brought him a package of JB Weld.

Very bad

A loose flywheel can kill and I know people who were killed Dyno Testing

If fact Cummins warned about a certain model was prone to it

I have decided to make this part rather than glue it with JB Weld

It is a very rare camera

Show and Tell after it is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Another story. One of my 20-ish jobs was in a store with a huge inventory of exotic bolts, taps, dies, machine tools etc catering to auto dealerships. One day a mechanic arrived with a weird-looking Whitworth bolt which had snapped, with an enormous hex head to it, which he said was the flywheel bolt to an MG sports car. When we told him we didn't have it, he asked where he could get one. We replied, maybe in England. He was panicked because he had a potential buyer coming to see the car in a few days. I handed him some JB Weld, and said it might hold it together for another six months, then forgot all about the incident. Then, just a little over six months later, some young guy showed up with a big broken hex screw with some dried guck where it had broken. I examined it, Hmmm. .. Looks like a flywheel bolt to an MG to me. He stared back, Wow, you really know about cars, don't you? I replied, I sure do. Where can I find one of these?, he asked. I answered back, maybe England. Now what am I going to do?, he asked. I looked at him and replied, I think I have an idea, and brought him a package of JB Weld.
    Tin Can