Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is 8x10 so expensive over 4x5 ?

Why is 8x10 so expensive over 4x5 ?

Hello everyone!
    I am thinking about buying my first LF. I'm very decided on the 8x10 but I'm wondering why there are such huge price differences between these cameras ? I can find 4x5 Sinar, Wista or Toyo in good condition on ebay at prices of 200-400 euros. 8x10 models are already priced at 2000-4000 euros.
    I can understand 4x more expensive films because of the size but 10-15x more expensive bodies is a bit much. Or do you recommend other places than ebay ?

Re: Why is 8x10 so expensive over 4x5 ?

I'm unfamiliar with the market in Europe, but I'll offer that fewer 8x10 cameras were built overall, so scarcity probably has something to do with it.
    There are a lot more 4x5 cameras around.
    After 30 days here you can access the sales subforum with the likely chance of connecting with realistically priced used stuff.

Most people will advise to start with a 4x5 on account of the cost, not only for the camera and the film, but also the film holders, lens, and tripod (an 8x10 wants a substantial tripod that can handle the weight!) But you've probably already heard that.

Have fun! It's an extraordinary adventure whatever the size format.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Look at Intreped Camera in England

New is cheaper and I have one
    Tin Can

I've seen quite a few videos on Intrepid and it looks very bad. Poorly built, unstable, bad knobs, and all made of poor plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the market in Europe, but I'll offer that fewer 8x10 cameras were built overall, so scarcity probably has something to do with it.
    There are a lot more 4x5 cameras around.
    After 30 days here you can access the sales subforum with the likely chance of connecting with realistically priced used stuff.

Most people will advise to start with a 4x5 on account of the cost, not only for the camera and the film, but also the film holders, lens, and tripod (an 8x10 wants a substantial tripod that can handle the weight!) But you've probably already heard that.

Have fun! It's an extraordinary adventure whatever the size format.
    As for buying from a market other than Europe there is no problem, I am only surprised by such a disproportion between prices.

The Spruce Goose did fly, Howard Hughes

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszwojcik View Post
    I've seen quite a few videos on Intrepid and it looks very bad. Poorly built, unstable, bad knobs, and all made of poor plywood.
    Tin Can

I will give up my 8x10 when they pry my cold dead hands from it. I don't care what it costs, it keeps me out of bar rooms.
    Last edited by Rick A; 26-May-2023 at 07:25.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Small town, South Carolina, US

The Intrepid is about the best way to begin in 8x10. The price is not that high and you can always sell it if you find something you like better.

Another advantage - the weight is less than many alternatives. This means you can get by with a somewhat lighter tripod.

IMHO, I would start with a 4x5 and move up.

I'd focus on lens pricing....

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszwojcik View Post
    I have a 1935 Deardorff (8x10) and a current model of the Intrepid (8x10) as well. Guess which one gets far more use? The Intrepid. It may be made of less expensive materials, and its not flawless, but if you're unhappy about the price of 8x10 cameras, then there's no reason not to consider the Intrepid. If you're unwilling to try the Intrepid yourself, then get the Chamonix and find a way to afford it.