Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: D2 cogged wheels not fully engaging rear column

Re: D2 cogged wheels not fully engaging rear column

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I have a D2 also, with the gears even more chewed up. ... I'm on a waiting list for a new gear assembly; I should probably check in with the gentleman again, but these items are not made often.
    Just a note on this. I had occasion to call KBH Photographix the other day about another D2 part. I asked about the perspective on the gear & axle part coming back into stock. The answer was that KBH, which may be the one person who answered the phone, at least essentially, runs a repair business and gets parts as needed to serve this demand. Parts have to be custom made, and he orders batches. Use the Notify Me button on the part listing to be notified when a desired out-of-stock item is back in. And don't hesitate when it is.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Now that you've got it moving, you might find this video on aligning it helpful: https://youtu.be/83Oj1KDFuJc

Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Now that you have it working somewhat, you can align it so that the lens board, negative carrier, and base board are all parallel.

A quick and dirty check to see if it's somewhat aligned is to put a negative carrier in without a negative, turn it on, focus to put the edges into sharp focus, and then use a ruler to measure the diagonal distances between corners. With the lens at its widest aperture all the edges should be in sharp focus at the same time, and the diagonal distance between upper left and lower right should be identical to the distance between the upper right and lower left.

Before doing this be sure the negative carrier is properly seated and the condenser housing is flush with the negative carrier all the way around. If they aren't, investigate why.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check it. I won’t be surprised if it’s out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by hol571 View Post
    Now that you've got it moving, you might find this video on aligning it helpful: https://youtu.be/83Oj1KDFuJc
    Thanks for the link!

if you have to hand help the head up n down, it sounds like the counter balance springs arent working... that the flat steel springs wound in the round reels. when you lower the head, check to see if the springs are being pulled out of the reels? it just may be the springs were let go and unwound and not retendioned when put back.... so you dont have enough tension to counter balance the weight of the head. that could be why those cogs were out of alignment.