Maybe try ebay

A while ago somebody was buying and selling MANY filters one at a time
    Tin Can

Re: help me understand Kodak VI slip on

Tin Can

Ian Martin

Quote Originally Posted by usernamechecks View Post
    All those half answers are confusing me even more. Would be grateful if someone spill the beans instead of sending me in circles.
    With all due respect, you aren't getting half answers. Because you don't understand the answers you have received does not mean people are misleading you.

You need a Series VI adapter that has a 1 1/2" OR 38mm diameter.
    This will adapt your lens, which has an 1 1/2" / 38mm outside diameter to a Series VI filter.
    This WILL NOT allow you to use threaded filters. It will allow you to use unthreaded Series VI filters.

The threaded ring that retains the Series VI filters in the adapter has a ~44mm thread. You can crossthread a 44mm-49mm adapter ring into the slip-on 1 1/2" / 38mm Series VI adapter and use 49mm filters, or adapt to any larger thread size from there.

It does seem confusing. My take on it is that the Series VI adapters are intended for use with 41mm Series VI drop-in filters, to be secured by a retaining ring. The appropriate (Series VI) lens hood wlll also screw into the adapter, and will secure a drop-in filter without the retaining ring. There are Series VI screw-in filters that attach directly to the threaded aperture of the adapter, no retaining ring/lens hood required.

The ID of the slip-on part of the adapter is indicated in inches and mm on the circumference of the adapter: 1 15/32" = 37mm.

I don't think a "Series VI" adapter label means that all Series VI adapters have the same slip-on ID.

I have two Series VI adapters, one inscribed "Kodak Series VI Adapter Ring 1 1/2IN.-38mm", and the other inscribed "Kodak Series VI Adapter Ring 1 15/32 IN.- 37mm". Both work on my Vaskar 105mm f4.5 lens (37mm lens barrel OD): the slip-on circumference is made up of 17 tabs that can be pressed in or out a small amount to fit your lens barrel as you like. Both accept 44mm Series VI threaded filters. Both also accept a Series VI 41mm drop-in filter, secured by a retaining ring or lens hood.

Check out this page at filterfind: https://filterfind.net/series_6_A.html - a bunch of lenses with Series VI adapters are listed (and I think stocked). If my experience with that site holds, you can ask questions and get comprehensible answers.

Quote Originally Posted by usernamechecks View Post
    I have the Graphex Optar 135mm f4.7 lens that I want to use a normal 37mm filter with.
    I read that I need to buy the Kodak VI slip on that lets me step up to 37mm.

I am looking to buy one on ebay, and on one listing, it says Kodak Series VI Adapter Ring 15/32 In 37mm

What does the 15/32 stands for?
    Is the size of the slip on that goes on the lens standard? So technically as long as it's a series VI, it will give my lens?

Thanks!

Matt Alexander

Press on series filter step-up adapters - to - any normal mm filter size have always been hard to find in my experience. Often it's a 2 step process - for example Series VI to 'MM I don't want', then 'MM I don't want' to 'MM I want'.
    Might look at these on B&H...
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
    Or there is a vendor on ebay with large array of step adapters - just apparently out of stock of any series 6 at the moment...
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Thank you for the clear answer. The previous answers were definitely not clear compared to this one.

I figured it's too many things before I can use a filter one it so the cost is pilling up for no reason. I might just sell it and get something that is more convenient to buy filters for instead of putting 50$ here and there to be able to use a filter.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the Series VI (or Series 6) designation refers to the size of the filters that will fit into the adapter. The numbers printed on the adapter refer to the diameter of the lens that the adapter will push on to.
    The Optar 135/4.7 lens is approximately 37-38 mm in diameter (just under 1.5 in) so the adapter you're looking at should fit as it's marked 1 15/32, which is obviously just under 1.5 in. I also have an Ektar 203mm lens that takes a Series VI adapter, but it's marked 33mm (1 5/16 in) since the front of the lens is smaller that the Optar. They use the same size Series VI filters.
    The adapter pushes onto the front of the lens, then the filter is dropped into the front of the adapter and the retaining ring screws onto that, securing the filter in place. The filters themselves are about 41mm in diameter and unthreaded, so they just drop in. You may try screwing a 44/45mm regular filter onto the front of the adapter, but the thread pitch might not match and you may damage the filter or adapter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	series VI_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	238710

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	series VI_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	238711

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    The main thing to keep in mind is that the Series VI (or Series 6) designation refers to the size of the filters that will fit into the adapter. The numbers printed on the adapter refer to the diameter of the lens that the adapter will push on to.
    I think Jim_jm nailed it.

The whole series filter adapter mess is a bit confusing at first, especially if one isn't familiar with series filters and the whole system that grew up around them.

@OP,

What you need is a press-on adapter (it seems 37mm or 38mm would work for your lens) to whatever common-size threaded filter you'd like to use. I made adapters for all my lenses that needed press-on filters to 52mm, since I have a slew of those. I'd advise choosing a threaded filter size that you can use on many lenses (with adapter rings or whatever) so that you can just carry one or two sizes of filters.

Now, on to the adapting process: You can get a Series press-on adapter for your size lens. The usual older Kodak adapters were to series sizes (it seems series VI is what's recommended for your lens). You can get one of those and then a Series VI to -whatever-size-filter- you intend to use. That's likely the easiest and cheapest. Series VI adapters to many different sizes are usually available on eBay, etc.

Another good, but more expensive, route is to have a fine-machinist like Steve Grimes make you a custom adapter. This would be one piece instead of two, but would likely be in the $100+ range.

I've gone the first route with success for many lenses; works just fine.

Doremus